Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is different in Benelli M2 "light load" recoil spring uni

Hi all-

I am still messing around with the parameters in inertia guns on nights and weekends. Does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of the "light load" recoil spring assembly versus standard for an M2? I am wondering if they changed the weight of the buffer, strength of the buffer spring, recoil spring length or wire diameter, Etc. Hoping to find out without dropping a couple hundred bucks on a replacement assembly :) . Just trying to explore the reliable operating range of inertia mechanisms for competitive shooting

Thanks guys

Edited by openclassterror

I am guessing you are looking at this part:

I'm sorry I can't be much help...I have installed a few of the Surecycle systems on rusty waterfowl SBE hunting guns - but that was more of a repair since the Surecycle parts are stainless steel. I have used the Wolf Reduced Power spring to get Super Black Eagles to run on 1200 fps loads and M2s to run on 1145 fps loads. Other than the manufactures' claim of “reduced” I don't know anything else about the spring.

I know that the inertia system is finely tuned within its parameter range Kurt, and works the way it is. BUT, I have kinda specialized in working with inertia guns and I want to know EVERYTHING there is to know about what changes affect it in what ways. I am NOT a guru yet by any means, but my engineer brain must know what the limits are :) .

What I find funny on a side note, is that a LOT of guys are trying their hardest to get shotguns to run reliably with 1oz loads down to under 1100fps, and 7/8oz loads a little faster. Which is right in the payload range of a 20ga. Yet if you tell them to just get a 20ga (legal in 3gun) they say the 20ga is not competitive. Okay, if you say so. But why do you want to shoot 20ga loads out of your 12?

Since the discussion is geard toward light loads, Is it possible to change or replace the M2 buffer spring with a Wolf Reduced Power buffer spring or Taran Tactical Reduced POWER - for the LIGHT TARGET LOADS ( 1150fps ). thanks

7/8oz load from a 12 gauge at a given velocity, versus a 20 gauge at the same velocity, will pattern better and shoot softer. Has to do with shot cup geometry, gun weight and burn rates of 12 gauge powders versus 20 gauge powders.

7/8oz load from a 12 gauge at a given velocity, versus a 20 gauge at the same velocity, will pattern better and shoot softer. Has to do with shot cup geometry, gun weight and burn rates of 12 gauge powders versus 20 gauge powders.

Yes, but the hexload might actually be possible with the 20 gauge!?

• 2 weeks later...