Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP - CasePro - AFTEC

TriggerT

I had CasePro'd a bunch of me 45 brass, so it would all gauge. Problem is that now alot wont extract with my AFTEC extractor. I ended up talking to the owner of AFTEC, and he told me that you shouldn't CasePro 45, since it can make the rim too thick. Thing is when I pull the AFTEC out and use either the stock Les Baer extractor, or a Wilson extractor the gun runs perfect. Flip side is that if I run brass that hasn'r been CasePro'd the AFTEC seems to run fine. Anyone else had problems like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

No question that the brass I put through the Case Pro is now GARBAGE! :angry: I had all kinds of problems at a match on Sunday with the Case Pro'd brass and a brand new Wilson extractor, so I decide to do a little experiment.

I loaded up 300 brand new Starline cases and took them to the range along with several brands of brass that I had put through the Case Pro. I ran 100 rounds with the NEW cases through the gun with the Aftec extractor in it, and had ZERO problems. I then shot 100 rounds of Case Pro's brass of several different makes. I averaged 1 jam for every 10 rounds fired. Then I ran another 100 of the new Starline with again ZERO problems.

I have looked at all the Case Pro'd brass, and can't find anything that would cause a jam. The cases that I thought would be bad because they have a VERY thick rim after being Case Pro'd worked just fine. Looks like I now have about 7000 pieces of totally unreliable .45 ACP brass. <_<

I am going to try reloading the cases that jammed in the gun, to see if they will run after having been fired.

Any additional thoughts would be great.

As funny as that sounds, there is a guy at our club with a 625 who I might ask about swapping some brass out with. He says his are bulged out a little at the base from his 625, but they can't be any worse than the stuff I have.

Are you sure it is just the brass? I would try the ammo in other guns before you shitcan it. I am sure that your gun ran 100% before the Casepro, but it might not hurt to check it in other guns. If not, check if it will work in a 625, and just swap it out with the Revo boys. I would imagine it pushed out the rim a little bit.

I casepro all my brass and have never had a problem. I case pro 45 acp,40 s&w, 38 super. I saw the ammo that Trigger had all his problems with. The rim and extractor grove were messed up. The rim was 2 times thicker than other 45acp brass.

TriggerT

I also Casepro .45. When I first started doing it it caused my gun to jam. The plates on the casepro were cut a little wrong. I sent a few pieces of my messed up brass and plates back to casepro HQ and he made it right. I was also told that I didn't have to roll my .45. If I don't, my Kimber wont run right. Maybe the chamber is too tight, I don't know I'm not a gunsmith. Anyway, my Kimber runs (almost) flawlessly. I pick up all the range brass I can find.

Ron J

I know you do have to size .45 usually, but I Case Pro'd all of my brass during the winter when I had nothing else to do. My thought was to make it all consistant, and so it would all case gauge. OOPS!.

Eric, are you talking about just grinding off some of the bottom of a Dillon carbite sizing die? If so how much? Not sure if that is something I want to do, but I might think about it.

Eric, are you talking about just grinding off some of the bottom of a Dillon carbite sizing die? If so how much? Not sure if that is something I want to do, but I might think about it.

What he is talking about is grinding off the part of the steel die body that extends past the carbide insert on the bottom of the die. This allows the die to go lower on teh case when resizing. For 45 ACP, the height of the extractor groove is soo tall, the die can remove any bulge that might be there.

I am going to start by taking some of the Case Pro'd brass and seeing if it will run through my Limited gun instead of my single stack L-10 gun. If I have the same problems, then I will just have to religate all the Case Pro'd brass to the practice bin and eventually the trash.

I will give some thought to grinding up my .45 sizing die, though as i recall most of the brass I couldn't get to case gauge was because the extractor rim was to large in diameter, so that wont really make the big of a difference.

First things first, see it the stuff will work in another gun.

Exactly what Ward said. I use a Hornady size die for 45 so, I don't have any bulge problems. If you're having bulge issues with the Dillon die, that's what I'd do. I ground my 40 die right into the carbide. No more case bulges. You have to be careful about how you set them up, because the carbide now has no protection and if you bash into it with the shellplate, you will crack the carbide ring. But, the price was right (free).

Personally, I think people are way too anal about the "sanctity" of their sizing dies. If the die won't do what you need it to do, fix it so that it will. After all, the worst case is that you will buy another size die from EGW - just like you would have done anyway.

I still cant figure out what the hell is going on. The Case Pro'd brass seemed to run fine in my limited gun, but jammmed all the time in the single stack L-10. More than anything, I am now pissed off that I can't figure this F@^*ing thing out. :angry::(

What kind of slide is on your L-10? Springfield slides were notorious in the past for having a narrow breech face, and if your breechface is on the minimum tolerance any casehead that is squeezed out from the casepro might be suspect. One thing to think about....this was from a friend shooting bowling pins years ago that shot any kind of who knows how many times reloaded until you cant see the headstamp and mouth split .45 brass

Well, I might have the problem solved. Evne though the gun ran fine with new brass, I kept adding just a little bit of tension on the Wilson extractor. It is now set where a live round will still droop just a little off of the breach face, but less than what I thought of as normal. Seems to have done the trick, since I went about 40-50 rounds without and problems. Ran out of time on the range, but I will continue to see what happens.

I am supprised that the AFTEC with BRAND NEW springs wasn't providing enough tension, but that looks to be the case. Of course the Wislon doesn't look like it had enough tension on it either, until I lovingly adjusted it. :D

The really good news is that as long as the gun is running the way it should be, my shooting lately seems to be on the up swing.