Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SL-900 410 conversion.

Hello: I am thinking about starting to reload 410 and would love to have a 410 conversion for my Dillon SL-900. So come on Dillon make a conversion for the little shell. I have heard Dillon did have a 410 setup but I did not see it but heard from others it did actually exist. So come on Dillon please work on this since powder is coming back slowly and my hull collection is coming along nicely. I already load 12,20 and 28 gauge on my SL-900 so what is one more gauge to load on it. Thanks, Eric

410 is notorious for being hard to load even though I have no issues with it on my progressive MEC. I would speculate that Dillon tested a .410 conversion (why you heard rumors of it) but could not get it to work to their satisfaction. In their typical fashion, that means they don't make the conversion available because they don't want to deal with the issues. They used to offer a 550 conversion for loading .25 ACP but they don't any more because it was always having issues (what I was told when I tried getting one years ago) so they stopped making them and don't sell them any more. Then there are certain things out there that Dillon doesn't want to mess with so they never talk about them, think 5.7.

Neal in AZ

Hello: I would like to hear from Dillon about why no 410 conversion also? I was told MEC sells more 410 loaders worldwide than any other loader they sell. I was also told Dillon had a 410 loader before the SL-900 came out. Not sure if it was a preproduction SL-900 or a conversion on some other press the sold at the time. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I like the Dillon also but want a 410 loader and I am looking at them all. They just don't have all the features that the Dillon has with it's case feeder and quick change for different gauges. I mean a company that makes mini guns should be able to make a 410 loader? Thanks, Eric

We put a bunch of R&D into a 410 kit for the SL900, and could not get around reliability issues to our satisfaction. We will likely readdress this again in the future, but it is not a high priority project. The significant differences in hull diameter are quite problematic.

Hello: I can be your Beta tester for the 410 conversion if you want? Send me the conversion pieces and I can work out the bugs for you. I am a Tool and Die maker and have the machines here to modify the parts if needed. Let me know. Thanks, Eric