Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these shells to light?

Maize

I recently acquired an unopened case of older Winchester AA light target. They are 2 3/4 DR instead of my normal 3 DR. Will this effect knocking down steel? Thank you, Maize

Yes, a little bit. I have done some informal testing, and found that plates don't go down with quite as much authority using 2 3/4 dram loads. I would expect to lose a couple of yards off the distance you can reliably knock down a plate with a given choke. The lighter shells are great for all clay stages, or if the steel is all sub 15 yards.

Maize,

That's all I shoot! AND I use 7 1/2's. If they run your gun, they will be just fine.

I use them with an IC choke out to 20 plus yards. You may have to aim instead of spray and pray if they are far away!

If they run your gun, you can hit those angle irons at RM3G easy. They also will be great for the birds in the air and just a little less pop on your arm.

At 25-30 yards with flat steel, you might have to aim a little more...and by then the IC choke is going to spread them a bit.

If you worry about poppers at a match, just aim at the head.

Don't waste 'em! I've never had to shoot anything heavier, and I hit stuff with my shotgun! :surprise: I may be slow, but that's 'cause I'm an old lady.

:wub:

Thanks Denise for the reminder to be precise even with my birdshot. I getting the hang of it with slugs I can't believe one guy beat me at your last 100

yard slug stage. I will bring these with me on the 9th.

HI Jim You coming to TX this year?

Unfortunately I can't make Double Tap. I am looking at making a trip out maybe in the fall. There are a couple matches I'd like to shoot. I really miss seeing so many really great people.