Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification Calculations

Mike62

My USPSA Number is A79652 I was sitting at 72.67 before shooting my local classifier match last weekend. I am trying to figure out what my new classification will be after that match.

My scores were

Classifier HF Classifier Calc %

03-02 4.7101 78.5017

06-09 8.2418 100

09-08 5.4507 68.6806

13-07 6.3333 58.9061

06-03 11.4486 68.8062

Depending on how I interpret the rules I can come up with a percentage of anywhere between 74.58 through 83.07. Can anyone help me figure this out assuming that the % from classifier calc are accurate?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Mike62

No. I think he is trying to figure out his classification based on these numbers. My guess would be around 81%, but I'm horrible at figuring that stuff out.

Side note, I shot that same match and have been trying to figure out the same thing. Did you know ESPS is having a classifier in a couple weeks. Shoot that and you get 6 more scores on one update.

well, here are your existing scores:

13-02 90

03-05 83

99-12 61

14vamd 71

13-06 59

09-02 69

and it looks like none of them are repeats, and none of them are below 55, so they all should count

so i think you're most recent 8 will now be the 5 you listed above plus the first 3 of the existing ones above.

so thats:

= 81% and change, unless I overlooked something.

Since all of those classifiers in the recent match are above 55% they should all count. Your average is compiled from the top 6 classifiers from your most recent 8 classifiers that count. In your case all 5 of your recent matches classifier results will count plus the last most recent which is the 90% one from 2/8/2015. So if you don't shoot any more classifiers between now and the next classification your average should be 77.5007%

Since all of those classifiers in the recent match are above 55% they should all count. Your average is compiled from the top 6 classifiers from your most recent 8 classifiers that count. In your case all 5 of your recent matches classifier results will count plus the last most recent which is the 90% one from 2/8/2015. So if you don't shoot any more classifiers between now and the next classification your average should be 77.5007%

? why would you drop the two oldest of the most recent 8 instead of the two lowest? Only 1 cup of coffee this morning? :cheers:

From the USPSA website:

>>>For initial classifications, the best four scores of the most recent six scores on file are used to calculate your classification. After you have earned your initial classification, the next time the classification system is run, your best six of the most recent eight scores on file will be used to calculate your current average. Because a Special Classifiers can earn you six score on the same match date, the scores are ranked in descending order by percentage to determine your most recent six or eight scores.<<<

With this in mind and if my math is correct, I calculate you as being at 81.5937. Solid A class shooter!

Thank you all for the help. Will the 100% classifier count? I thought there was a rule that said if it was more than 15% the max of your current class it would not count towards your score.

Of course the last time I shot a 100% classifier according to classifiercalc, it came it at 90% by the time it posted so I have never got to test to see if they actually enforce this rule or perhaps I was informed wrong.

Only the most recent 8 classifiers that "Qualify" are used. Out of those 8 the top 6 are averaged and the lowest 2 are not used for the average. I looked at his history again and made a mistake. The 58.9% classifier won't count against the top 6 classifiers because there is an 83.4% in the most recent 8 classifiers. So his average should be 81.5937. I have listed the break down below...

Classifier HF Classifier Calc %

03-02 4.7101 78.5017 (4th of top 6) (1st of most recent 8)

06-09 8.2418 100 (1st of top 6) (2nd of most recent 8)

09-08 5.4507 68.6806 (6th of top 6) (3rd of most recent 8)

13-07 6.3333 58.9061 (Does Not Count in top 6) (4th of most recent 8)

06-03 11.4486 68.8062 (5th of top 6) (5th of most recent 8)

History

13-02 = 90.1098 (2nd of top 6) (6th of most recent 8)

13-01 = 51.8517 (Does Not Count in top 6) (7th of most recent 8)

03-05 = 83.4639 (3rd of top 6) (8th of most recent 8)

Thank you all for the help. Will the 100% classifier count? I thought there was a rule that said if it was more than 15% the max of your current class it would not count towards your score.

Of course the last time I shot a 100% classifier according to classifiercalc, it came it at 90% by the time it posted so I have never got to test to see if they actually enforce this rule or perhaps I was informed wrong.

I have seen them not count very high classifiers, but they have counted both of mine that were high (89 and 90% when I was a B). At any rate if they don't count it, you can call them and pester them about it and they will count it. Based on your 90 and 83, there's no reason to think it was set up wrong or incorrectly scored.

There is no telling what voodoo may happen with your 100% run. They may kick it out, but I doubt it. The only time I have seen shooters get 100% classifiers kicked out is for obvious scoring mistakes or you have a D or C class shooter with a random 100% show up out of the blue. I haven't seen any B class shooters get 100% classifiers kicked out. Or I should say, I have never heard of a B class shooter bitching about a 100% classifier NOT counting against their classification average as long as its in the most recent 8 classifier results that count.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain this stuff to me. I have been shooting USPSA for a couple years now and I had never really figured this stuff out, your explanations help dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So they didn't count the 100% even though I made A without it. I emailed them, I guess I will see what they say.

Update - They agree to remove the A designation and let it count in June.

Edited by Mike62