Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

budget minded stoger or jm pro or trick out my 1100 for which is best

amstaffer

I was in your position and, at my level, until I become more proficient, the gun isn't the issue, unless the gun does not run. I am still with my 30 year old 11/87 and I will stay with it until I see it as holding me back or, in my dreams, I can outrun the gun. I would vote run what you got. There are a lot of things you can do to make it better for this game. This is an expensive sport and adding a shotgun to get started makes it more (assuming you are new). An 1100 runs great, but it does need more frequent cleaning. That is one vote.

Paul : -)#

Stoeger MK3 + MOA Precision; Its a GOOD budget shot gun. Lots of information here on how to make improvement that can be added as your figuring out whats needed buy parts. But like paul says, if your 1100 runs good use it.

At some point you'll want to upgrade past the 1100 when you really start putting a lot of work into your shotgun loading. I know I did. If anyone has a video of a really good 8 round load with an 1100 feel free to prove me wrong. Every time I thought about putting money into my 1100 I remembered that money was detracting from my funds to buy a lower maintenance, easier loading shotgun with a better trigger. Pretty much sealed the deal for me.

ETA: I don't think it's actually that hard to outrun the 1100, I've barely touched mine in the last year but last time I shot it I found it difficult to get my normal sub-.35 splits with it. I'm not sure if the gun mechanically didn't want to do it or if the trigger was slowing me down but either way, it wasn't easy to run fast. Recoil certainly wasn't the problem, it's definitely softer shooting than my 1301.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I shot an 1100 until I learned how to load-2. Then, the Supernova was way better. Now I have a 930JM, and it's fairly nimble and reliable. I haven't had any problems with it despite utter lack of cleaning. Maybe I got the 1 out of 5 that was built on a Wednesday.

Comedy option: Put a speedloader bracket on your 1100 and shoot Open.

What Tony said. Put your money in something that is worth the time and effort. When it is all said and done, you'll still just have an 1100. No one will want it after you start grinding on it. Get something that you can get all the nifty stuff for. Sounds corny, but a lot of those add on parts really can enhance function. They can't overcome superior skill, but it can help you keep from choking on the dust.

I also believe that if you have good equipment, and practice (correctly) you can't help but benefit from properly tuned and set up gear. I can shoot my Seekins SPR3G way quicker and more accurately than I can run my LWRC (and they are both excellent rifles). Same goes for my shotguns. I can shoot my Stock FN SLP way faster than my Beretta 391 or Super Black Eagle, but I picked up a buddy's gun that had all the options (Stoeger or Mossberg, don't recall), and could load way faster and shoot as fast as the FN. If you can swing it, keep the 1100 for the field and build yourself a racegun.

wg

A few things to understand about 3Gun.

1. There is no such thing as a "budget" for 3Gun, it is an addiction, albeit a good one.

2. IF you have something serviceable, run it for at least a few matches.

3. When #1 and #2 are satisfied you can make a wiser choice. Then shoot a M3000, M2, VersaMax on the clock on a variety of drills BEFORE you buy. BUT understand that FIT is all important and so those shotguns you borrow to try MUST fit you or it is a waste of time.

^ Mark speaks the truth. I wish I would've understood from the beginning that the cost of the guns is just a drop in the bucket compared to the bigger picture. Might as well accept the fact that if your gonna get into this sport your gonna die broke. With that said, buy whichever gun works best for you, cost be damned!

I shot an 1100 until I learned how to load-2. Then, the Supernova was way better. Now I have a 930JM, and it's fairly nimble and reliable. I haven't had any problems with it despite utter lack of cleaning. Maybe I got the 1 out of 5 that was built on a Wednesday.

Comedy option: Put a speedloader bracket on your 1100 and shoot Open.

You realize the guys at Mossberg only work one Wednesday a month right? Your a lucky man despite those odds!