Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Question about G22

zhunter

OK, here goes, I am not happy about this:

I load a @ 1.20 for my STI edge, but that does not seem to fit in the Glock Mags. I am only using this as a carry gun, but prefer to reload, as the Red Box Federal Eagle kicks like a MULE!!!!!! I have researched the OAL that most of the Glock shooter's use, 1.135 seems to be about average.

I have a Dillon 650, but HATE to have to change the bullet seater everytime I want to load a batch for the G22.

I am going to get a 13lb recoil spring, should I get the Dual Spring?

And any ideas on how to conveniently reload on my 650.?

I am only using this as a carry gun, but prefer to reload, as the Red Box Federal Eagle kicks like a MULE!!!!!!

It is not generally a good idea to use reloads for defensive ammo. The lawers get the idea that you are making 'special' ammo, that is ment to kill everything. Better to spend the $$ for some Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Hydra Shock, ect ammo.

Good advice on reloaded ammo for personal defence.

If you're still willing to go that route, you could make a couple of blanks (one per each bullet), and use a Lee bullet seater die that has a separate plug for adjusting the seating depth.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/high...leitemid=399433

Screwing the die body in or out the toolhead will affect only the amount of crimp you apply to the bullet (I set it up to barely remove the brass belly), then screwing in or out the bullet seater plug will adjust the seating depth.

When you start loading you just back out the adjusting plug, put the blank under station 4, raise the shell plate and screw in the plug until it gets in contact with the bullet tip.

The lawyers could see it as "killer loads" but most likely they will see it like this: "How long has this guy been making reloads? And does he really think he's any better than Win/Fed/CCI/etc.?"

You cant go wrong in court with factory ammo. Especially if you ask one of your local cops what loads they are carrying, and go with that. Then you dont have "Killer" ammo .............. you got "Police " ammo!

Reloads are great for practice & matches, but I wouldn't trust my life or liberty to 'em!

z,

If you get your reloading manuals out, you will notice that the 1.200 OAL that you use for your competition gun is NOT that standard book length for 40S&W. It is looong.

I know that doesn't negate the issue you have though...

You may be able to load to a length that is on the long side for the Glock and on the short side for the STI. I don't think I would though. I sure would want to load to whatever OAL that gave the best function out of each gun.

The answer for you is likely the Redding Competition Seating Die...as mentioned. I probably add in Skywalkers trick too.

I am only using this as a carry gun, but prefer to reload, as the Red Box Federal Eagle kicks like a MULE!!!!!!

It is not generally a good idea to use reloads for defensive ammo. The lawers get the idea that you are making 'special' ammo, that is ment to kill everything. Better to spend the $$ for some Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Hydra Shock, ect ammo.

The NOT using reloads in a defense carry gun is a good idea, stick with Factory ammo that Everyone has the access and ability to use.

During my CCW class, the instructor just happened to notice our assistant district attorney practicing at the indoor range and after he finished up he came in to give us a brief lecture of what all having to actually defend yourself entails if you ever shot someone. It was a good lecture since he actually shot and killed a guy while in NY protecting himself. His self defense situation wasnt so bad, as it turned the guy he shot and killed was well known by the local police officers and was branded a danger by everyone anyhow.

But, the subject of using reloads and +p+ rounds for self defense came up, so he went thru a make believe possible courtroom scenario with us over someone that used reloads in there weapon and defended themselves with it....It wasnt pretty! and since he was a lawyer he knew all the right questions to ask a person on the chair, cooking up special KILLER rounds? adding just a little extra powder to make them more KILLER? shit like that. He was pretty damn good at it, LOL....needless to say I do not use reloads in my carry guns....Lawyers can make reloads look pretty damn killer to a jury!!!

Amen ..................... Thanks Nick

If your using a Dillon, why not just get an extra set of dies and leave 'em both set where you want 'em. One set for the shorties, and one set for the loooong (Flex) rounds. With the Dillon toolheads, changing between different sets of dies is a breeze .............. especially if using the same shellplates on both sets.

I have the same problem with my Para and G35. I load long for the Para and factory length for the G35. I have dummy rounds made for each length. I place the long or short dummy on the shell plate, back out the seater plug, run the dummy up and screw down the plug. I then load away checking the first round loaded ofr correct length. If it is good, then let errr rip. Make adjustments if necessary. Not to hard to do! Good luck. TXAG

The NOT using reloads in a defense carry gun is a good idea, stick with Factory ammo that Everyone has the access and ability to use.

During my CCW class, the instructor just happened to notice our assistant district attorney practicing at the indoor range and after he finished up he came in to give us a brief lecture of what all having to actually defend yourself entails if you ever shot someone. It was a good lecture since he actually shot and killed a guy while in NY protecting himself. His self defense situation wasnt so bad, as it turned the guy he shot and killed was well known by the local police officers and was branded a danger by everyone anyhow.

But, the subject of using reloads and +p+ rounds for self defense came up, so he went thru a make believe possible courtroom scenario with us over someone that used reloads in there weapon and defended themselves with it....It wasnt pretty! and since he was a lawyer he knew all the right questions to ask a person on the chair, cooking up special KILLER rounds? adding just a little extra powder to make them more KILLER? shit like that. He was pretty damn good at it, LOL....needless to say I do not use reloads in my carry guns....Lawyers can make reloads look pretty damn killer to a jury!!!

Ummm, and refresh my memory please! AND why would you be shooting at someone, trying to protect yourself, and NOT be trying to kill them?

That is unbelievable!!!!! Figures a Laywer would come up with that one!

"No sir, I was not trying to kill him when he was shooting at me, I was just trying to scare him away!"

I think NOT!

Ummm, and refresh my memory please! AND why would you be shooting at someone, trying to protect yourself, and NOT be trying to kill them?

That is unbelievable!!!!! Figures a Laywer would come up with that one!

"No sir, I was not trying to kill him when he was shooting at me, I was just trying to scare him away!"

I think NOT!

I damn sure wouldnt let on that you was out to KILL the guy trying to protect yourself, that really wouldnt go over too well to help your case in the event of a civil suit.

I shoot a G35 and load to 1.200 with no problems.  What generation mags are you using?  I'm pretty close to 100% reliable with that 1.200 so maybe it's a mag issue?

Really? I find that amazing.

Are you sure it's not 1.020 ?

Flexmoney,

I'm 100% positive (used to make tools and dies). I just check out a bunch to make sure I didn't make a mistake and they are all 1.200'' I get a little inconsistency from using a bunch of mixed matched brass but for the "minor .40" loads that I shoot, I'm not worried about it. Typically I'm ranging form 1.189'' to 1.200'' without any feeding problems out of a third gen G35. Using 3.5 gr T.G. with a zero 180JHP or Montana gold 180FMJ with 3.5 gr T.G.

Hi Z,

I shoot a G20 not the G22, but I convert the 10mm into a 40 cal for competition.

I practice regularly with a shooter who shoots an STI. He loads out to 1.20 and I can not shoot his ammo. They won't fit the chamber unless the full force of the recoil spring slaps the bullet into the lands and grooves.

My mags are the G20 mags for 10mm, so the mags are not the problem.

FYI - Standard length for the 10mm is 1.25. You're almost loading to 10m length.

I doubt that the 1.20 rounds will fit in many standard factory mags.

I once loaded rounds for a friend who carries a Sig. His mags wouldn't run with anything longer than 1.14.

I suggest you find a length that will run in the G22.

Then load a large quantity.

That way you won't have to continually switch set ups.

Good luck!

I have a few loaded at 1.190" and they wont come close to fitting in my G22/35 mags, cant even force them into the mags at that length... :blink:

Jeez, I feel stupid. My mic was off, recalibrated, I'm coming in at 1.125. Well, that could have been really really BAD(KABOOM!) :(

Note to self and others, do note lend out your tools. :angry:

Glock ammo and STI ammo are 2 totally different things.

Even if you can somehow jam more than 5 long-loaded rounds into a G22 mag, it doesn't matter because so many rounds are going to hang up on the feedramp.

You'd also have zero freebore in the barrel which sends pressures thru the roof.

STI/SV/1911 -- 1.160 to 1.240

Glock/Sig/Smith/HK -- 1.125 to 1.135

Put a mark [like the minute hand of a clock] on the top knob or hex bolt of your seating die. Write down the position for STI and then count the clockwise turns to where it's short enough for Glock. Write this down in a book that stays on your bench. You'll have to double-check the length every new loading session.

I'd recommend a different bullet type for each or go nickel brass for one and brass brass for the other. As they say, load in massive quantities. Better to have around 5000 rounds worth of every component on hand. Buy more when it gets to 2000.

worst comes to worst, i think a spare toolhead to reload regular 40s, and another for the STI..

one easy fix would be load them ALL TO SAAMI SPEC..

I know many of the sti limited guns using factory 40 caliber ammo without any ill results..

Ill question the skill of any gunsmith that builds a pistol that wont feed factory ammo.

longer loaded ammo needs more powder to make major, and more powder means more recoil.

for those who feel they need the extra length to lower pressures, you might want to find a different powder.