Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need opinion on open caliber.

hellscomin

No significant difference between the two. :surprise:

Many select 9mm because of the ease of finding inexpensive brass.

(Like me ... )

Some select .38 super for the wider selection of suitable powders

and ease of using lighter bullets.

There has been a LOT written and posted here at BE on this subject

in the past. :cheers:

Brass is really the driving factor. 9mm is everywhere. Not only is 38 Super not frequently carried by retailers, when manufacturers make it, they make it in smaller runs than they do other calibers like 9mm, .40 or .45. Simple supply and demand. The demand is less, so they make less.

The powder selection issue is less of a problem these days since the power factor was lowered years ago to 165.. There are more powders today that will make major in 9mm than there used to be. I can name at least half a dozen off the top of my head. The problem right now is finding ANY powder.

Looks like i will be going with the 9mm major. I have quite a bit of vv-n320, is there a load combination for this powder that will work and meet power factor ?

No. VV N320 is a FAST powder. Great stuff for 9mm minor. You want a slow powder to make the comp work and make major

in Open. The list is long---Auto Comp seems popular lately. Hit the reloading part of the forum for a pile of info on loads.

Win Autocomp
Win CFE Pistol
Hodgdon HS-6
Ramshot True Blue
Ramshot Silhouette
VV 3N37
VV 3N38

Hodgdon Longshot SEEMS like a good choice, but it's not. You can't get to the velocities needed because it's TOO slow and won't burn completely.

Those are just what I remember off the top of my head. Search the reloading forum for 9mm major loads and you can find data for pretty much all of these.

Personally, i am using 7.2 gr of Autocomp with a 124 gr Montana Gold CMJ. OAL = 1.170 Small Rife primers. PF out of my gun is about 172-173, with no primer flattening. CFE Pistol should be very close to the same load and results.

Edited by Parallax3D

Looks like i will be going with the 9mm major. I have quite a bit of vv-n320, is there a load combination for this powder that will work and meet power factor ?

As already posted, N320 is a no-go for 9mm major.

All those posted just above will work fine and HS-6 just happens to be available at Powder Valley right now. ;)