Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Chip McCormick 9mm 10 round mags?

himurax13

I have used Trips, Dawsons, and Wilsons.

Trips worked great for a while but to keep them working I had to keep an eye on the feed lips. Seems like the metal is a bit soft and they spread out after a while. As to them being dirty, I just clean any magazine every time I drop it.

Wilsons worked OK after messing with the springs. On most I had to cut 1 or 2 coils off the spring to make it run 10 rounds in the magazine. They were a complete PITA to clean but they did run very well after tuning.

Dawsons came out of the box working and are easy to clean. Only had them for a short time so long term opinion will have to wait.

I did notice it was hard to get a round out of the mag with my finger. When I looked it was because you tend to push on the top part of the bullet and that makes it nose dive. If you push on the bullet with an object like my squib rod where I can push from a little lower it unloads very well.

Currently I have 5 or 6 Wilsons I never shoot because I hate to clean them, a few Trips that are due for a tune up, and a ton of Dawson's I shoot all the time.

From what I read, you can get some relief from the nosedive problem by using .38S magazines and loading the bullets a shade long. I currently shoot standard 115 grain 9mm FMJ using Mecgar and CMC magazines and they work fine as long as I don't try to insert a full mag on a closed slide.

I guess my definition of 'work fine' includes being able to speed reload. If they can't be inserted on a closed slide when full, they would be completely unacceptable to me.

From what I read, you can get some relief from the nosedive problem by using .38S magazines and loading the bullets a shade long. I currently shoot standard 115 grain 9mm FMJ using Mecgar and CMC magazines and they work fine as long as I don't try to insert a full mag on a closed slide.

I guess my definition of 'work fine' includes being able to speed reload. If they can't be inserted on a closed slide when full, they would be completely unacceptable to me.

Mine could always be inserted on a closed slide as long as they are loaded one round less than "max capacity". If forced in full, I usually get a nose down feed jam on the top round only. So you can speed load as long as it's a round down.

The stock Mec Gars were nine round mags stock, and would do a nosedive when loaded to nine. Then I modified some "+1 followers" that increase full capacity to ten rounds and then they could work OK with nine rounds but would do a nosedive feed if loaded to ten. Mine only have a problem when loaded to max and inserted on closed slide which really takes a lot of force and crushes the spring.

Edited by bountyhunter

Mine could always be inserted on a closed slide as long as they are loaded one round less than "max capacity". If forced in full, I usually get a nose down feed jam on the top round only. So you can speed load as long as it's a round down.

The stock Mec Gars were nine round mags stock, and would do a nosedive when loaded to nine. Then I modified some "+1 followers" that increase full capacity to ten rounds and then they could work OK with nine rounds but would do a nosedive feed if loaded to ten. Mine only have a problem when loaded to max and inserted on closed slide which really takes a lot of force and crushes the spring.

yeah, that's definitely deal-breaker on a competition gun. The dawson mags go to ss minor division capacity (ten) and reload easily on a closed slide, which is good, because I need to do it 10-15 times every local match.

I have used Trips, Dawsons, and Wilsons.

Trips worked great for a while but to keep them working I had to keep an eye on the feed lips. Seems like the metal is a bit soft and they spread out after a while. As to them being dirty, I just clean any magazine every time I drop it.

Wilsons worked OK after messing with the springs. On most I had to cut 1 or 2 coils off the spring to make it run 10 rounds in the magazine. They were a complete PITA to clean but they did run very well after tuning.

Dawsons came out of the box working and are easy to clean. Only had them for a short time so long term opinion will have to wait.

I did notice it was hard to get a round out of the mag with my finger. When I looked it was because you tend to push on the top part of the bullet and that makes it nose dive. If you push on the bullet with an object like my squib rod where I can push from a little lower it unloads very well.

Currently I have 5 or 6 Wilsons I never shoot because I hate to clean them, a few Trips that are due for a tune up, and a ton of Dawson's I shoot all the time.

Feedlips bending was an issue I had with the .45 ACP version of the Tripps. This is why I have been hesitant to buy the 9 mm versions.

It annoys me how many issues I have with 1911 magazines. My Glock and CZ mags just need a new spring once in a blue moon.

Exactly. I have broken many, many 1911 mags in .45ACP and 9mm from doing this. I believe this also causes nosediving of the first few rounds.

This is why I started buying $19 Mecgar 1911 magazines in .45. Once the mags are done, I just throw them away.

It is difficult to find 10 round 9mm Magazines for less than $30 + shipping. I would like at least 12 so I can rotate them throughout the match. This way, I won't have to drop a mag in the dirt more than twice before putting it away.

Edited by himurax13

• 1 month later...

Friends,

A year ago I bought a brand new STI Trojan 5 in 9mm (hard Chrome from Factory). It comes with 1 sti metalform magazines (9 rounds only).

1. So, I bought 10 pcs of Wilson ETM 10 rounds magazines for IPSC. All of Wilson mags were sold because every first round from a full 10 rounds in a mag it nose dive. But when I strip 1 ammo, the mag runs good.

2. I tried a 6 pcs Tripp Cobra mags and it was also the same issue. I sold these mags too.

3. I was able to get 6 pcs of metalform magazine (10 rounds) from Brownells and 6 mags of DP 10 rds magazines (actually also metalform). It ran good or best up to now. Good bye nose dives.

I am recommending the Metalform Magazine S/S 10 rounds 9mm. Its the best and I am speaking from my own very experience.l However, I have no luck in metalform magazines in my STI Troajn 5 40 S&W.

Cheers.

Has anybody tried the EGW raised magazine release with these magazine problems???

I have a souped up Colt Delta and I used the EGW high button to fix a problem I was having with it hanging up on the feed ramp as well as polishing the feed ramp with 2000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a cartridge. Tripp Corey mags are nice. 10mm is straight wall and 9mm is tapered...yes I know. It just seems like there are other things you could try that are cheaper than a new fleet of mags...checking extractor tension would be something else I'd look at.

Edited by Forrest Halley

What issues are the old mags giving you?

Nosediving.

If the Dawson mags are giving you problems with a built in feed ramp in the mag, I suspect there is something other than mags going on. Who made the gun? How many rounds? What is the OAL of the ammo you are running? Bullet profile?

Springfield Loaded.

Thousands.

I have tried multiple profiles and various OAL's over the year. Loading longer helped but problems remained.

I finally decided that ditching the metalfor/Dawson and Wilson mags would be the best course of action.

Hi Friend,

I am willing to buy those dawson/metalform magazines if you want. Send me pics in my personal email: orbit1785@yahoo.com and lets discuss on how can i get it. Its hard to find those mags in Canada

Any of y'all that don't want your Wilson ETM mags PM me and lets see if we can make a deal on them

I'm serious

Still would like to know who has tried the CMC mags?

What issues are the old mags giving you?

Nosediving.

If the Dawson mags are giving you problems with a built in feed ramp in the mag, I suspect there is something other than mags going on. Who made the gun? How many rounds? What is the OAL of the ammo you are running? Bullet profile?

Springfield Loaded.

Thousands.

I have tried multiple profiles and various OAL's over the year. Loading longer helped but problems remained.

I finally decided that ditching the metalfor/Dawson and Wilson mags would be the best course of action.

Hi Friend,

I am willing to buy those dawson/metalform magazines if you want. Send me pics in my personal email: orbit1785@yahoo.com and lets discuss on how can i get it. Its hard to find those mags in Canada

Sold em a few months ago. I guess the buyer is not having issues. I find that 9mm 1911's are a bit more finicky than the other calibers.