Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite loads for 77s 1-8 twist

openclassterror

I shoot 77s with 8208 and lake city brass. This combo shoots grat for me out of a 1-8 twist barrel. As far as twist rate goes I agree that 1-9 would be to slow for 77s even though some people may get good results with it. I had a 1-12 twist 308 barrel that I tried some 208 grain bullets out of. On warm days it shot fine and then during the winter I tried the same load and the groups opened up to about 3 MOA. So just because it works on one day doesn't mean it will work all the time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my 77 SMK going 2650 to 2700. For that I prefer Varget around the 24.0 range or slightly more but start low and work your way up.

Now all I shoot for long range stuff is Black Hills M262 OTM. That stuff is pinhole accurate, comes out of my 16" PWS at 2650, and hits like Thor's hammer

Jacob

77 SMK and either Varget or 8208. I switched to 8208 because 1.) It meters, whereas I had to weigh every Varget charge, and 2.) Because it has maintained availability during the late unpleasantness.

Lake City brass, 23.3 gr. 8208 (from memory; I won't swear that was my best charge), 77 SMK, near mag length OAL. Sub-MOA from multiple ARs-- including a sporter-weight Palmetto barrel. Ran the "all day MOA challenge" with both. .7 MOA in the target gun; .82 MOA in the sporter.

For blasting ammo (there are no stages around here over 100 yards), AA2230 when I can get it. It flows like water and meters perfectly every single time. Don't spill it though-- those little balls will run all over the floor. This is not the powder for the 77s though.

Edited by kuduman

• 2 weeks later...

I have a load I used for years in High Power, was 24 gr VV N140 with Remington 71/2 primers with Nosler 77 grs. A 5 shot group at 100 yds can easily be covered with a dime. Tried some loads with CFE 223, Hornady 75 gr, pretty poor groups, Nosler 69 and 77 grs, better, but not even as good XM193. Made up 20 test load in powered range from +.1 gr over minimum to .2 grs under Max, with 2 in between charges, few were ok nothing great.

All shot through my Nordic 1-8, the XM193 does pretty good through it close to 1 MOA, the other test loads, not as good except the VV load.

Edited by The Donald