Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racker ball detent

kneelingatlas

Yes that kit is the one I use. The last one I did I actually used that kit to put the ball detent into the sidewinder racker instead of the slide.

Ahh cool. I want to fit a sidewinder xl to my tanfog slide. You had enough thickness to put the ball in the racker? Any pics and/or tips for us? They would be gratefully received!

Yes that kit is the one I use. The last one I did I actually used that kit to put the ball detent into the sidewinder racker instead of the slide.

Ahh cool. I want to fit a sidewinder xl to my tanfog slide. You had enough thickness to put the ball in the racker? Any pics and/or tips for us? They would be gratefully received!

If I can remember I'll dig the gun out tonight and take a picture... but yes I had room (but measure carefully to get the hole centered otherwise you'll punch through the side of the racker). I also ended up clipping the spring a bit so it didn't stack solid.

I use the complete ball plunger, available from McMaster, with different strengh springs. Works great.

So do you use one like this screwed into the racker from the top?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-plungers/=wf4hd1

No, in my case there is not enough room there, under the scope mount, so I drill the slide, and use the part number 84895A56

If I can remember I'll dig the gun out tonight and take a picture... but yes I had room (but measure carefully to get the hole centered otherwise you'll punch through the side of the racker). I also ended up clipping the spring a bit so it didn't stack solid.

Thanks so much. I've been wanting to get this happening for a while.

Can you explain how the spring is retained using the midway kit?

I've also come across these. http://www.vlier.com/product_index/sld/bp_01_s-ss.html

The shortest one is only .187 inch.

I really want to avoid drilling the slide. It's hard chromed and already has the right dovetail cut for the racker and has 2 shallow holes in the cut for the original set screw that i could repurpose for the ball/balls (might use 2).

If I can get a ball/balls into the sidewinder I'll be very happy. :)

That looks like a clean solution

Yes... a 1/8" hole, and a small counterbore, that's all.

Just out of curiousity, why not use the flush mount version listed below the one you said worked with the flange?

That looks like a clean solution

Yes... a 1/8" hole, and a small counterbore, that's all.

Just out of curiousity, why not use the flush mount version listed below the one you said worked with the flange?

No particular reason, I simply already used and had those. I would just not recommend tapping a tiny hole in that very hard steel - most people would probably end up breaking the tap.