Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Responsibility

Gun Geek

I've been dating a great gal for about 2 1/2 years. She has 4 (yes that's four) kids. Ages: 13, 11 (both girls), 8 and 3 (both boys).

Last year I took the oldest boy shooting a couple of times - just plinking - told him to shoot the berm and watch the dirt fly. He loved it. He got to see another member here (Pact-man) shoot an old baseball off a fence at 300 yards with 1 sighter and a hit. That shot amazed him (heck I think it was pretty good too, especially since I have seen Pact-man do other similar stunts). He still talks about it.

Over the winter the 8 yr old has expressed an interest in learning how to shoot better. He has talked about it several times which has gotten the 10 yr old girl interested. The 13 yr old girl is a lost cause, I think. His mom won't let him (and I wouldn't take him anyway) so the 3yr old gets pissed 'cause he can't go yet.

All winter we drilled on the 4 rules of gun safety. He knows 'em.

Tomorrow the 8 yr old is going to watch me shoot an IDPA match, then we are going to shoot the new youth rifle I picked up today - a little CZ 22lr bolt gun. This will be the beginning of a more structured education. I expect the 11 yr old girl will insist on a trip soon.

I remember when my dad first took me out (old, old, Stevens crack shot 22). I like passing it on...

Geek

I try to include kids in my favorite activities, golf, fishing, hunting and shooting!!!!

Remember, THEY are the future of OUR sport! I tak emine to matches, and they are about to get an Airsoft SV style gun! Ages 9 (boy) and 10 (girl).

Good JOB.

I took my sons out for the first time last year and they enjoyed it.

Instead of buying them a new rifle, I bought a youth size stock for my 10/22 and changed the sights to peep sights (Williams gunsite with gold bead). Both were nice changes. Shooting from a basic rifle rest, they were having a ball with one shooting a mag while the other reloaded his mag. I did stone the hammer/trigger which reduced the trigger pull down to about 3 pounds with little creep so it was easier for them to use. They are the future; train well.

Well,

The day was great!!!

The 8yr old was a little cold - it was in the 30's/low 40's. I was impressed that he handled it. His nose (and mine) was red and ran most of the day.

During the IDPA match I got a "Wow, you're faster than those other guys!", but I also got a "Why didn't you shoot the center on those last 2 targets?"

Later he hit a piece of 6" steel at 50 yds 3 or 4 times (with the CZ) and is now hooked.

He also got to see a cool 12 year old who shot very well. The kid was shooting a ruger 22/45. I was the SO and though we made some accomidations, the kid regularly shot in the top 3 of the squad of 10. He was steady, got his hits, no prcedurals - heck, I wouldn't want to face him in a gun fight. When he gets a little older and can handle a 9mm, look out. This 12 year old got my 8 yr old hooked biiiiiiig time.

Now having a brew thinking about how cool it all is.