Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire Shooters: Where are you getting your ammo?

ToddKS

I had posted on this topic in my range diary but thought I would open up the discussion here. I am not trying to pry lose anyone's secret source, just trying to understand what guys are doing to keep themselves in ammo and what they are paying per round.

I just bought a case at $.09 a round this morning that Ammo Supply Warehouse had listed on Gunbot. They still have some available if you are looking. I almost bought 2 cases but I could not bring my self to spend nearly $1K on 22LR this morning.

This was a price that I never thought I would be willing to pay but I realized that I was spending more in time, miles, and fuel trying to find ammo at Walmart and Cabelas then I could possibly save, especially when you consider that I was often coming home empty handed.

So where are the rest of you finding ammo and what are you now willing to pay per round?

I have the best luck right here in my very-small home town. The Do It Best hardware sells guns, and has a gun smith. That is where I buy most. Then, the local gun store is second. I don't even bother going to Wal Mart and Dunhams anymore . . . they never have any.

I passed on a deal on a case for that price a while back because I didn't want to pay $.08 per round. Today I was just happy I wasn't paying $.10 per round.

Reminds of when gas went to $4 per gallon and then fell to $3.25.

Edited by ToddKS

• 2 weeks later...

Well just today I scored 3000 rounds of CCI AR-Tactical for $317 including shipping. I don't really like paying .10/rd but it is the one round all my rimfire speed rifles like the best. That gives me a total of about 5k rounds of it. Plus I have about 4K of Minimags for my pistols. And about 8-9K of miscellaneous Federal, Fiochi (minimags in disguise), Aguila, and Armscor all of which work pretty well also. Understand I also supply ammo to my teammate thru the year when he is running low. And sell off some of my surplus to the members of my gun clubs.

Edited by photoracer

I just can't see posting 9-10 cent a round for 22! I can probably reload 9mm for that!

My thoughts exactly, I still haven't paid more than 25$ OTD for a box of Federal or Remington, you can shoot 9mm and 38s for close to 10 cents.

I just can't see posting 9-10 cent a round for 22! I can probably reload 9mm for that!

My thoughts exactly, I still haven't paid more than 25$ OTD for a box of Federal or Remington, you can shoot 9mm and 38s for close to 10 cents.

Tue but I can't reload enough 9mm to shoot it as much as I do .22lr. In fact since I can buy 9mm for around $.20-.25/round it makes little sense to reload 9mm either unless you want to make a load specifically for something. I don't know about you but my time is worth a lot more that what I would be "making" if I was reloading. I would have to be putting out over 400 rounds an hour to equal what do for a living. I am used to making alot of things but that is not the same as drudge work. I am very picky when I reload which is why I have never had a squib load or anything. What I do reload is things that would cost me closer to $.75-1.00 per round like 9x23mm or .41 Mag or 6.8mm SPCII. Those I do reload.

I don't reload 5.56 even though I shoot 3-gun because I can buy Fed .223 at WM for about $.35 a round and my rifle loves the stuff, out to at least 400 yards anyway. I don't reload 12g either as long as the Fed 100 rd value packs from WM hold out as my shotgun runs 100% with those. And yes I do have a shotgun press.

Edited by photoracer