Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whiskey Arms - Aluminum Low Mass BCG

IntenseImage

Nordic 18", SLR block, now the Whiskey carrier, and the Taccom Adjustable Low Mass Buffer with 1 spacer

I think the Nordic gas port is playing a role in that as my wife has a carbine gas barrel and needs 4 clicks w stock carrier and 5 with VDI

Edited by IntenseImage

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to run my new Whiskey Arms LBC today and can't wait. The prototype has run amazing in my sons rifle and now I am going to run the finished product. This LBC is top quality and ready to run. I will put about 1,000 rounds through it this month and let you know how it performs. Will Wallace is a great manufacture of top quality products and very easy to talk to.

Shot my first match today (200ish rounds) w the Whiskey carrier ... Rifle ran great! Sometimes with my VDI carrier in my setup when I would load and make ready it wouldn't always go into battery (thankfully it was FA compatible) - didn't have this issue with the Whiskey carrier.

Edited by IntenseImage

I am testing both a JP and a Whiskey, with 1K on both, I can not tell a difference in function, feel or wear. Tuned right, softer than the JP LMOS. Tuned wrong, a bit sharper recoil.

What would be considered "wrong" or maybe its better to ask what "correct" would be

A gas volume appropriate for the lower mass.

A JP QPQ LMOS carrier can run a LONG time overgassed. However, the aluminum carriers have to be considered for what they are...purely a race part that will wear out faster. If you run Nato 77s through a huge gas port, you will wear it out faster than having a reduced gas port. Also, the best lube should be used. That pretty much takes out most of the lubes and especially those who run with just a touch. The maintenance goes up as well. From an engineering and wear standpoint, a JP SCS will keep things squared up the best, a carbine buffer next. Heavy buffers, no. No buffer, razors edge.

Mass, load, springs all factor in. IMHO, factory ammo and an aluminum carrier is kind of a waste. Soften the load and make it last longer, and run cooler and softer...all good. Will an ammo manufacturer come out with a gamer load? Probably not, but that is where the aluminum carriers take you if you want the best performance. If you shoot factory ammo, the JP QPQ is probably the best bet.

Sounds like its time for me to have a play day at the range ... Since I am a tad overgassed with this carrier and my current buffer/spring setup with AE223 I'll be interested to see if a heavier buffer or adding some spacers to this one to increase preload will change the feel

Shot 300 rounds through it last weekend. Ran great but that is what I expected. Felt a little faster and was able to hold on target a little better than my JP. I am looking forward to running it in a match for the first time this coming weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm good with lighter carriers that are made of steel, at least for now. I don't reload so factory ammo is what I've got.

Mark, would the known-to-be-softer PMC Bronze be a possible factory load with an aluminum carrier like this one?

I'll do a write up when (if) I hit 10K on it. Cam pin play due to erosion in the cam path appears to have broken a bolt. The receiver looks like it has 20K on it,

At this point, my assumptions have proven correct. IF you want to fully tune a load and parts to an ultra-low mass system, you can have an AR15 that shoots about like a .22Mag. If you use full power loads, the window will be narrow, and the lifespan short. Unless you want to run loads at 75% or less of a 55 at 3000 fps, then the JP low-mass is still, to me, the best choice for across the course AR15s for 3Gun.

I think I'm good with lighter carriers that are made of steel, at least for now. I don't reload so factory ammo is what I've got.

Mark, would the known-to-be-softer PMC Bronze be a possible factory load with an aluminum carrier like this one?

Still going to have to put a pretty radical tune on it. It will have a narrow operating window and as the tune goes away due to wear and gas system erosion, you will need to adjust to keep the benefit/reliability.