Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off center primer strikes

harryorwell

This part time gunsmithing will make your ass crave stovewood! So I get all the CGW stuff installed on the compact i bought, Race hammer, SRS1 and a couple of others and finally got the range today. After my first mag I started to get FTF's. Upon checking i found what's in the attached pic. I tried about 8 or so fresh rounds and they all had the same result. I'm new to all this stuff so I'm clueless. It doesnt seem like this could be the result of any of the mod's i installed. I was shooting cheap remanufactured rounds from Freedom Arms but they havent given me any trouble in the past. For the record i made sure i had the CGW firing pin spring they sent along with the firiing pin retainer they sent. Also had the blue hammer spring installed.

On a side note...Seems like I learn a very valuable (read expensive) lesson each time i try to do stuff like this...in this case it was that you should always shoot the gun first before you attempt any upgrades. Sure wish someone would have told me that first. So no...i don't know if this was a pre-existing condition. And no i'm not going to put all that old stuff back in to find out. Someone here needs to write a book about dumb ass mistakes not to make when modifying firearms...i'll buy two copies in case i lose one. At least i have managed not to shoot myself!

post-39849-0-91341100-1426211142_thumb.j

Failures To Feed, or Failures to Fire? FTF gets used for both, unfortunately.

Was the gun closing enough to be able to pull the trigger and the hammer falls?

Edited by MAC702

Failures To Feed, or Failures to Fire? FTF gets used for both, unfortunately.

Was the gun closing enough to be able to pull the trigger and the hammer falls?

Failur to fire...I couldnt tell a difference between the pull and drop as opposed to the shots that fired. The pull is obviously lighter than it was with original parts and the sound of the hammer drop is different as you would expect. I checked the pin and FBP and all seems okay. The comments of improper feeding make more sense. I dont have a caliper...that should be in the book idea i referenced in the OP...but i can't see a difference in the round size compared to some fiocchi off the shelf i have.

rounds are too long and not chambering all the way or recoil spring is too weak.. You are looking at hits out of battery. KABOOM waiting to happen.

I don't have a caliper but its on my list...now. how much length are we talking about? is it a perceptible amount? I can't see a decernable difference between some off the shelf Fiocchi rounds i have and the Freedom stuff that failed.

rounds are too long and not chambering all the way or recoil spring is too weak.. You are looking at hits out of battery. KABOOM waiting to happen.

I don't have a caliper but its on my list...now. how much length are we talking about? is it a perceptible amount? I can't see a decernable difference between some off the shelf Fiocchi rounds i have and the Freedom stuff that failed.

It's usually the bullet hitting the rifling. The length to the datum diameter on the bullet taper that is too long. Put some magic marker on them and chamber one and see if it is hitting.

Update...talked to CGW and they confirmed i did "mostly" everything correctly. They said the firing pin retainer pin should be situated at 12 o'clock but i don't think that was the problem. I took my XDm and my shadow with me this time and i was able to fire the rounds that had off center strikes. I was even able to fire one of them through my compact. This confirms it was a feeding issue as some of the gurus here suggested. I ran about 100 rounds through it of both remanufactured and off the shelf ammoi. I did have two instances of the same issue i think. on two different mags i had a failure to fire. both times the round didnt make it all the way into battery. only these two times it was so far off the firing pin didn't actually touch the primer. Incidentally on the rounds that do fire properly there is a much larger firing pin indentation than on the off center hits wich makes sense also. I cleaned the gun thuroughly after i bought and before i had this issue. I will do the same again now to eliminate a feeding issue because of it being dirty. so that leaves me thinking there is some kind of inherent feeding problem...on occasion. which on a carry gun doesnt sit well. I havent read or heard of that being a problem with CZ's.

Do you guys recommend some polishing of the feed ramp or something else to fix this issue? I usually run my guns pretty dry but maybe i should increase the lube. Maybe there is some other mod for this. As always any help is greatyly appreciated.

I still think it's ammo related. Remove the barrel and drop all of your rounds in. They should ker plop when you drop them and fall right out when you tilt the barrel over. Should also spin freely in the chamber

What spring weight are you using on your recoil spring? Does your support hand thumb occasionally rub against the slide while firing?

I'm running the CGW recoil spring...14#. I don't think I'm bumping the slide. I keep my thumbs off the gun mostly.

I still think it's ammo related. Remove the barrel and drop all of your rounds in. They should ker plop when you drop them and fall right out when you tilt the barrel over. Should also spin freely in the chamber

I think it's ammo too...I'm going to spot check a number of them.