Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering a 650!

Gentlemen, After spending the last year cranking out rounds on a Rock Chucker I have decided it is time to step up to a progressive machine. So far I have made a little over 6k rounds, 5k of those being 9mm which leads me to believe that the Dillon 650 with case feeder will be the best route to take. I just have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on the order.

1. What is the concensus on the powder check die? I will visually inspect the cases either way but I wouldn't mind the extra set of eyes if you think it is a worthwhile investment.

2. Are the dillon dies worth picking up? I already have a set of Lee dies and am very pleased with the ammo that I make with them. I have read that many use the Lee FCD anyways so if the others work I am fine sticking with them, but if the dillon dies are a huge improvement I will throw them in the cart.

3. Anything else I should add to the order that will make living with this press easier? So far I am planning on the press, case feeder, "as it should be" upgrade, extra primer tubes, spare parts kit, and the cover.

Thank you in advance for looking at this thread. I really appreciate being able to absorb such a vast amount of knowledge from you guys!

I run Lee dies in my 650 and am quite pleased with my ammo. I did have to get a U die for sizing (lee) but all is good now.

Half of my friends swear by powder check other half don't use. Currently I have one (given to me) but don't use it on 9. Have a mirror mounted and visually check prior to bullet seating.

You won't regret the 650 and Brian will take good care of you.

A few that I've done

1. Light kit, makes a world of difference http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/dillon

2, Spent primer catcher. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-Spent-Primer-Catcher-Upgrade-Kit-/281302460212

3. Live primer catch bottle. (beats the ski jump that comes with the Dillon). Same place as the spent primer catcher.

Enjoy your new press.

post-56380-0-15841700-1426111090_thumb.j

post-56380-0-07334600-1426111120_thumb.j

post-56380-0-52543000-1426111139_thumb.j

post-56380-0-38219900-1426111162_thumb.j

I have the check die but when I'm running 9 Major it was more trouble than it's worth. Since the 9mm case is really full it would just spill powder every time it dropped into the case. I finally quit using it, figured I ran 20 years on a 550 looking at each round and never had an issue, must be doing something right. Now since adding the bullet feeder I don't have room for it anyway.

You will like the 650, nice machine!

Edited by Cowboy1629

Thanks for the info guys. I typically load 3.4gr of Titegroup and a double charge will fit in the case but is very obvious. I really like that light and will add it to the list of things to purchase. Anything else worthwhile to grab while setting up the kit?

I did a few years loading on a 450rl. Switched to the 650 and I love it. Easy to set up, easy to switch out calibers (extra tool heads), I've loaded more on this press in the last year than I did in the past 5 years on the 450. I also use lee dies and have no complaints. Never used anything else, but so far haven't found a reason to try anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd save my money and use the Lee dies. I have the powder check and I find myself looking in the case most of the Time anyway. If you are just loading 9mm,I'd skip it. If you move to rifle reloading, it would be good idea. A spent primer catcher is simply and almost free using a drilled out 45 caliber case with a hose added. Light is nice, again pretty cheap to do yourself. I'd get the press, set up and then add stuff at your leisure

Powder check gave too many false alarms- haven't used it in years. With auto indexing it would be hard to double charger or squib unless something is funky going on. When I have stoppages, I stop before ramming home and check to make sure everything is going as it should.

I'll be placing the order this weekend, thank you again for all of your assistance. Last month I loaded up 2500 rounds on my rock chucker. In case anyone is wondering, that is 10,000 cranks of the lever and about 25 hours invested. That was the straw that broke the camels back, guns were sold and the dillon will be inbound.

Yep powder check I think is a waste for probably 80% of pistol loading. Perhaps in 45acp if you were loading small charges of fast powder and you have bad eyesight and in a darkroom etc etc.

As the guys said is very hard to double charge or squib load on a progressive like a 650.

Keep the lee dies but if you don't have one add the factory crimp die. That way you back out the seat/crimp die so that it no longer crimps and do your crimp with the fcd. Much easier to adjust now as you no longer need to move the die body to adjust seat or crimp. :)

Just use the dillon lock rings on the lee dies. If you need more threads you can run the lock rings underneath or turning the tool head upside down gives a couple extra too. Generally its not needed though.

I would suggest:

Alloy roller handle is worthwhile.

Strong mount I can take or leave. I like to sit on a stool when I load so I now go without a strong mount.

Spare parts kit is definitely worth having. It should come with the press really.

Cover? Sure if you're in a shed or basement. I have a room in my house so don't bother.

Get a 4 pack of primer pickup tubes.

A light kit or at least a nice lamp is pretty much a must have.

Toolkit is nice but it comes with an Allen key set. You do need a 1 inch wrench for die rings. Again since they give you an Allen key set they really should just include the nice set and mount and add $20 to the press cost.

You'll love it after going from a single stage. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, two large boxes arrived on the porch yesterday! Aside from opening the brown one to check out the goodies the boxes are sitting on the bench for now. I am moving in the next couple of months and I can't decide if I should set up the press and move it then or just hold off until I move. I have enough ammo loaded up to last me until after the move, but the siren song of the blue press is calling to me.