Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM striker roll pin

chetc

i am looking into getting my wife a 9 mm gun for the range, i bought her a Sig P320 a few weeks ago, so we were at the range the other day, and she held a XDM 9mm 4.5 in barrel. she really like the grip the XDM, i like the P320, but i have no problem getting my wife the XDM, i am reading about the roll pin failures on the striker. has this been corrected in the new XDM's if not the way it looks this gun needs to fired with a snap cap, am i correct.

Chet

I have that exact gun with more than 20,000 rounds through it. I've never had a roll pin fail, but I do dry fire with snap caps. Granted, I drop the striker on an empty chamber pretty frequently during the "unload and show clear".

Moral of the story is, if you're doing a session of dry fire then use snap caps. But it won't hurt anything to drop the striker on an empty chamber every once in a while.

Obligatory photo:

2014-11-02%2014.18.05_zpseufjyulb.jpg

Have they fixed the flaw of the Glock? breech2.jpg

Long and the short of it is if there isn't a round in the chamber, something will stop it. Replacing the designed roll pin with one that won't absorb the energy puts that energy into the striker. I would rather replace the simple roll pin as needed than a striker.

I had the striker retainer pin come apart in three pieces in my XD .40 Service. I also have three XDm's which get run much harder than the XD .40 so I replaced the factory split pins in all my XD guns with "Metric Coiled Spring Pin, 18-8 Stainless Steel, M3 Diameter, 16mm Length" from McMaster-Carr; part# 91612A149.

Of course, I now have 21 spares floating around.

I've seen 2 break on the range. The first one we "fixed" by scavenging 5 range bags for the correct diameter roll pin, cutting it size with a Leatherman, and hammering into place with a random heavy object. The second time we kinda pushed it back in, it looked like it hold up for the rest of the match, and the gun went to smith after.

My son and I own several XDm's. The pin in known to fail primarily due to dryfiring. Since it's a known issue I got several of the pins from Springer Precision and keep them and a roll pin starter in the tool kit.

That being said, with a couple of XDm's with very high round counts, we haven't had one fail yet. I suppose if we didn't have the replacement parts to fix them Murphy's Law would have probably kicked in and we would have had some fail.