Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoger 3000 or Benelli M2

asuran83

My M2 has thousands of rounds thru it and has not broken a single part.

My sons M3000 has several hundred rounds thru it and the vent rib is separating from the barrel. Its going to have to go back for repair or replacement.

You get what you pay for.

265k... Through any gun is impressive.

Just a thought, the average person who shoots 3gun shoots maybe 500 rounds of shotgun a year. Sure, there are several hundred that shoot thousands a year and another group that maybe hits around 1k. So the majority of 3gun shooters won't need 265 years of use out of their shotgun. The "average" 3gun shooter probably does not even post on Enos.

We know there are only a few shotguns that can really endure the rigors of 3gun and the list gets shorter when you start talking say 10k rounds a year for several years. So Kurt, with the M2 at the top of the stack for serious 3gun shooters... Which shotgun would you choose for 3gun if you were to be prevented from shooting a Benelli? And why?

Edited by MarkCO

265k... Through any gun is impressive.

Just a thought, the average person who shoots 3gun shoots maybe 500 rounds of shotgun a year. Sure, there are several hundred that shoot thousands a year and another group that maybe hits around 1k. So the majority of 3gun shooters won't need 265 years of use out of their shotgun. The "average" 3gun shooter probably does not even post on Enos.

We know there are only a few shotguns that can really endure the rigors of 3gun and the list gets shorter when you start talking say 10k rounds a year for several years. So Kurt, with the M2 at the top of the stack for serious 3gun shooters... Which shotgun would you choose for 3gun if you were to be prevented from shooting a Benelli? And why?

Would there be 3-gun matches after hell freezes over?:) Edited by bmiller

Oh I know Kurt has an answer, Redneck or not, he is a pretty smart dude and i am sure when he reads my post, the answer will be floating in a lobe of his brain. The question is can it get form there through his fingers and into a post as a straight answer...Probably not, but then that is why we like Kurt. :)

Oh I know Kurt has an answer, Redneck or not, he is a pretty smart dude and i am sure when he reads my post, the answer will be floating in a lobe of his brain. The question is can it get form there through his fingers and into a post as a straight answer...Probably not, but then that is why we like Kurt. :)

Not questioning Kurt in the least. I just think hell would freeze before he switched brands! I can't wait for his response, I am glad you posed the question.

Edited by bmiller

Oh hell that's an easy one! Beretta 1301. They don't tend to break either. That gun has been out in Europe much longer than it has been out here and I know several members of the Italian IPSC shotgun team that have almost 100,000 rounds on their guns. If I couldn't have a Benelli that is what I would pick. Matter of fact I might even have one :) I don't like what they did with the loading port, but it is ok. that is the reason I haven't really used it much in 3-gun, but it is just dandy otherwise.

I am also intrigued by the thought of a new Savage shotgun, and I am waiting to get my hands on one of the prototypes

Edited by kurtm

In my world, I would buy the best that I could afford. There is no doubt that an M2 is superior to the Stoeger, but that doesn't make the Stoeger a turd. I had a turd, it's no fun finishing every match with a back up 870.

I never implied the Stoeger was a turd, it can be made into a reasonable gun, but if I were to chose between the two, as the original poster was asking, I would go with the one that has a proven record. It seems he had enough money for either so why not go with the one that doesn't need any work to make it work well?

I never implied the Stoeger was a turd, it can be made into a reasonable gun, but if I were to chose between the two, as the original poster was asking, I would go with the one that has a proven record. It seems he had enough money for either so why not go with the one that doesn't need any work to make it work well?

Exactly! PS. I didn't think you, or anyone else, considered Stoegers as turds. Sorry if you misunderstood

The used M2 and the MOA Stoger M3000 are the same price. Though the MOA will have their competition package installed. I would appreciate any more info and discussion, and thank everyone for their posts.

Edited by asuran83

The used M2 and the MOA Stoger M3000 are the same price. Though the MOA will have there competition package installed. I would appreciate any more info and discussion, and thank everyone for their posts.

Seriously, I would get the M2 and start off by adding a Nordic tube. You'll be in the game, and have a solid base for whatever competition treatment you decide to go with. I really like my Stoeger, and it's what I can afford right now. I only added the mag tube and had Rose Action Sports finish the load port, weld the lifter, and smooth out some minor stuff. All the oversize buttons and handles aren't going to win me any matches, so I opted for Spartan improvements. I would do the same if I had the M2.

M2 for the long haul, Stoeger for the casual shooter.

I have both a M2 and a MOA M3K. The Stoeger is a good gun though and can't be beat for the price considering it has all the options for the less than a base M2.

Mike

Would a 28" barrel be a problem on the M2? It looks like a lot of people run mag tubes that long so I don't think it would be, but any information is again very much appreciated.

Not a "problem", but not beneficial to a good shooter. Heavy guns, whether they be pistol, rifle or shotgun, lessen recoil and swing smoother. That is great when there is no timer and even when your skills are being built for 3Gun. However, lighter guns are faster and if the proper fundamentals are applied to them, will help you get better scores.

So adding a bit more weight out at the end of the shotgun might be good for some and not for others. Only you can tell which by some time on the range with a plate rack and a timer.

• 4 years later...