Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about dry fire gun transitions and movement....

Malcolm31

I posted this info/question in the Beginner section but maybe that was the wrong section for my questions....any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been practicing dry fire drawing, shouldering, loading dummy rounds/empty mags, and finding targets in my basement with my pistol, rifle and shotgun. I'd like to work on my transitions between guns and shooting positions in my basement. I would specifically like to work on entering and leaving shooting positions more smoothly and obviously more quickly.

Any tips you have on gun to gun transition drills, even stuff like what you have used to bunker guns in the house, and how specifically to improve my speed entering and exiting shooting positions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Its a dry fire drill to learn/master precise transitions between targets. Shot from 10ft using thumb tacks on the wall as targets. Named by Ben Stoeger after Matt Hopkins, a GM in USPSA Production division who devised the drill. Its in the Book.

Pistol is not that hard in 3Gun. You will gain more benefit from your initial thoughts. Loading the shotgun, patterning the shotgun (not dryfire but essential to know what you need to see), offhand rifle dryfire. etc. Not saying ignore the pistol, but the basic draw, a little reload (which we hardly do in 3Gun) shooting on the move and basic transitions are better uses of time for 3Gun practice.

I just did this drill Sunday, and it about wiped me out...

I spent 45 minutes on the treadmill at 5mph, About 40 reps of load8 in the shotgun, 40 draws and reloads with pistol and 40 reps with the rifle dryfire at a 6" plate at 30 yards. Obvioulsy I got a bunch of transitions. I think my kid is more tired than I am. He had to unload the SG 40 times and reload pinwheels. The ELS made that a breeze for me. I only fell off twice, both on blown Quad loads stepping on a shell.

Why don't you just walk around the house? That's what I do, and to mimic uneven footing or natural terrain I have to step over cats and dodge the dog. Personally I rather not eat a face full of treadmill as I have to suddenly decide if I want to drop the rifle with with the expensive scope and gouge the floors so I can have hands available to catch myself. I suspect I'd think about that for to long.

A treadmill is a better idea I think. When I walk around the house, if I drop shells or a mag I have to stop and collect everything. It kinda ruins the flow of the drill, especially shot shells that roll under furniture forcing me to crawl around and search.

Of course my gym might not be as excited about this drill as I am so I'm still stuck walking around the house.