Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 conversion to 9mm

jh9

Where were you able to find Short Colt data for VV. I checked their website and could not find any. Do you get any pressure signs with this load? Is this a minimum, mid-range, or near max load?

Appreciate the help.

like alec said, use 9mm data.

you won't likely find 38 sc data because it will assume you are loading for a guns actually chambered for 38 SC which was an anemic cartridge...

I checked case volume and length. Both are identical to 9mm. The 38 SC and 9mm ones I checked were anyway, there are probably tiny differences between brands. In my mind, a 38 Short Colt is just a rimmed 9mm.

I sight my iron sights at 15 yds and with the load I mentioned all 8 rounds touched at 15 yds. But each gun will shoot different. I tried 3.3 grains and started to get sticky extraction and if I seated below 1.160 I also started to get sticky extractions. I found most of these loads for VV by doing a search for Short Colt on these forums and by talking with Doug Carden. I also experimented with .357 sized bullets with good results. When I used the same load with just lead bullets and not coated my PF was 128. You might be able to go with more powder but you will need to seat the bullet out further.

In my 627 PC 9mm data is a bit light. I run 160 Bayous with 2.7+ clays for 840 f/s and 1 1/2" or less 25 yd groups. I've had good luck with this load but only using the older style Dillon Powder Measure, the one that doesn't have the anti double charge arm. Using the newer style gave inconsistent powder charges with anything under 3.1 grains of clays. Dillon now makes a small charge bar that might help also.

My experience with two conversions hasn't been all good, especially when power is considered.
A 686 was fitted with a .38 Super conversion cylinder. Getting minor with 9mm cases is tough, if you stay within the load data lines. .38 Super makes minor in a walk and runs well.
I had done up some USPSA loads in the old days when six-shooters were involved for the 686. Getting 160s up to major took some kinda scary lumps of powder. Not really worth shooting nominal .357 Magnum in USPSA, but I had to try.
Reloads with Super are quite good.

I sent in my .45 Colt Model 25 for a moon cut. This gun just doesn't want to give power with .45ACP cases. I had to go to Blue Dot in large doses to get to major in this 4" gun with 230gr SnS coated round noses.
I suspect a lack of crimp groove in these bullets is part of the problem.
Fascinating experiment: got a hundred .45 Win. Mag. cases, tried with both the 230s and some 250s with crimp grooves. Yes, the cases had to headspace on the moons. Lots of revos do; lots of semis hang on the extractor hook, too.

Don't tell anyone.

The 230s were awful, wild variations. The well-crimped 250s were fine, nice and consistent and accuracy within minute of USPSA.
Short result on the 25- boy, it works pretty well with .45 Colt brass.

A short cylinder and a setback barrel would do a world of good in both cases.

I checked case volume and length. Both are identical to 9mm. The 38 SC and 9mm ones I checked were anyway, there are probably tiny differences between brands. In my mind, a 38 Short Colt is just a rimmed 9mm.

Good to know. Quickload shows the 38 SC as 1-2 GR H2O smaller and so borderline 9mm loads look atomic in 38 SC.