Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRP Upgrade choices

phecksel

Too many options :)

XDM 5.25 that is only used for competition. Have a couple of years of PPC and IDPA under my belt. Experienced newbie?

I'm going to have them do the work.

Competition Trigger - they have 2.5-3.4 lb desired trigger weight. I'm thinking 3.0, especially since I haven't shot with a comp trigger before, but I also only want to do this once :)

Bunch of stainless options, including a polished striker, any of those I need? Looking at the stainless guide rod,

Might look at the mag release, want to put the firearm in my hand again, don't remember it being an issue.

Not changing out the sights unless there's a strong reason to.

Any real benefit from recrowning the barrel or polishing the feed ramp?

Thoughts?

I run a PRP drop in trigger kit in my XDM 5.25, using the competition springs the trigger breaks about the 3lb range. I have never had any experience with the competition trigger kit but I dont see how it could be much better than what I have. The drop in kit has little take up, a pretty crisp break, and no overtravel. Im sure the arguement could be made about how the more expensive kits are better but I dont honestly think there would be enough difference to improve the average guys IDPA score. I shoot my XDM in steel challenge, IDPA, and NRA Action pistol matches and can safely say the trigger is not holding me back any. Its super easy to install, I would recommend doing it yourself before spending the money to ship it off. If nothing else a local gunsmith could probably do it while you wait and save you some money.

I run a stainless guide rod in mine for a little more weight up front, again not sure if it helps enough to make any difference but its cheap enough and I like it.

I do have a set of PRP sandpaper grip tape on mine, it really helps a lot on hot, sweaty summer days, mine has been in place for at least 3 yrs now and hasnt moved. Its getting a little worn looking but still has plenty of traction. I highly reccomend.

I run nothing but my handloads through mine with whatever the cheapest primers I can get are and it never fails to go boom so not sure what a polished striker is going to do for you. Again Im sure somebody can give you some more technical reasons why its a great thing to have but in the real world I havent seen a need, and I shoot mine, a lot. I usually shoot 2-3 matches a month plus practice plus load development work so mine gets a lot of rounds put through it. I did however replace the striker retainer pin with the PRP extra heavy duty ones as I do a lot of dryfire also, and its just super cheap insurance.

I dont think you can do much better than the stock sights. Some folks like to change the front blade out to thinner or thicker, its just personal preference but again I dont see this making much difference to the average shooter. I believe the theory is thinner helps with faster target acquisition and thicker is better for accuracy, but I need both and have found the stock front sight just fine.

DO NOT polish the feed ramp. It comes from the factory polished, it works perfectly and feeds everything perfectly, nothing to gain here. I run mostly semi-wadcutters in matches since they cut nice big holes in paper, and I never have a misfeed. I can run tiny 100gr Ibejihead semi-wadcutters up to big fat 150gr Bayou semi-wadcutters and everything in between, nothing fails to feed. My XDM will even cycle empty brass cases. I guess what Im saying is dont mess with the feed ramp. :D

Dave gave you some great info, I just have a suggestion. I would compare prices with the SA Custom Shop. I've been incredibly happy with their trigger and accuracy work. They use the PRP Comp trigger but they polish all sorts of internals as well. I also had them hand fit the barrel to the slide, and there is a noticeable difference in accuracy. Plus all your warranties remain intact, if that is important to you.

This picture shows you how they fill in the slide, then fit it to the barrel by hand:

20140218_175629_zpsba495c7f.jpg

This picture shows the PRP Trigger w/ Overtravel Stop (installed by the SA Custom Shop)

IMG_20140218_180159_zps1781e75d.jpg

What Dave 33 says....pistol shoots better than I can...

I have a gunsmith installed PRP match trigger that came in my used 5.25 9mm. I put a PRP drop in in the wifes 5.25. Can't tell the difference, but having said that, I'm taking both to my local gunsmith along with my new stock 3.8" CCP pistol to have him measure trigger pulls. I'll put the extreme PRP trigger in this weekend and measure again.

JD

I have the drop-in and I'm happy with it at 3.5lbs. I did go with the extended mag release and I noticed a difference right away. I swapped out the front FO for a Dawson Precision FO. I like the thinner sight up front plus it didn't obscure the target at longer distances. I also have the X-Treme grips with the sand texture, in red. Unfortunately they don't make it in colors anymore.

I checked the trigger pulls yesterday. Ultimate match @ 3.25# Drop-in @3.0# and Stock @6.0# Will install the Extreme in the 3.8 this weekend and check sometime next week. Also agree with BigDawg, the extended mag release is a worthwhile option. Have the PRP X-Treme Rubber grips on all three pistols and like them. The sand was too agressive for me and the wife.

JD

I checked the trigger pulls yesterday. Ultimate match @ 3.25# Drop-in @3.0# and Stock @6.0# Will install the Extreme in the 3.8 this weekend and check sometime next week. Also agree with BigDawg, the extended mag release is a worthwhile option. Have the PRP X-Treme Rubber grips on all three pistols and like them. The sand was too agressive for me and the wife.

JD

Choice on grips are comp and carry. Are the X-Treme Rubber Grips, the comp?

Still looking at and trying to understand the barrel crown option and what they are actually doing for $30.

Edited by phecksel

I'm using their Extreme trigger kit with the lightest springs, titanium firing pin stop and titanium firing pin indicator. I polished all my internals surfaces and the striker. Very smooth trigger and nice glass like brake. Can't be happier. Factory trigger was awful at 7#+.

Edited by MrRick

JD

Choice on grips are comp and carry. Are the X-Treme Rubber Grips, the comp?

Still looking at and trying to understand the barrel crown option and what they are actually doing for $30.

Pretty sure the Carry are the rubber and the Comp sand. BTW the Extreme trigger came in at 3.25 lbs. If I did it again, I'd just do the drop-in.

JD

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious, this thread has talked a bit about pull weights but never makes mention of the load being run. Don't they go hand-in-hand? Couldn't you get a sub 3# trigger yet have reliability/ignition issues? What kind of load can you run with a 2.5# (or less) pull weight?

I'm curious, this thread has talked a bit about pull weights but never makes mention of the load being run. Don't they go hand-in-hand? Couldn't you get a sub 3# trigger yet have reliability/ignition issues? What kind of load can you run with a 2.5# (or less) pull weight?

Perhaps this is lack of knowledge on my part, but I have never heard of the weight of the trigger pull effecting what load you can run in the gun. Once the trigger breaks the internals of the gun are still going to cause the striker to hit the primer the same. Or are you saying the lighter trigger pull would result in light strikes? That still doesn't seem to effect the load, other than the primer itself.

If the striker spring stays unchanged then there shouldn't be issues, but that directly affects the weight of the pull. I heard a guy ask TGO about his xdm trigger, his response was something along the lines of "it's 2lb 14oz and could be lighter but won't run his 9mm load if it was lighter." I'm paraphrasing and not even sure if that was the weight he said, but that statement was why I asked.