Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore DOWN ? ? ?

toothandnail

It's back this morning, maybe it's my connection, but it seems way faster than anytime the last week or so.

ETA; I no more typed that, than tried to approve a new shooter- it's down again.

I'm getting concerned , what are we supposed to do if this happens on match day or, as in this case several days ? ? ?

Edited by toothandnail

I'll take the liberty of re-posting Ken Nelson's Practiscore Facebook update from last night around 10 p.m.

We've finished the upgrades we've put in place to make the system more resistant to DDOS attacks. We don't know why we were targeted, or if it was anything other than an automatic sniffer thinking there was something to be accomplished at our domain.

We were never actually down by the DDOS, we (and initially our cloud provider) took the system down a few times to do various checks and upgrades once we realized the scale of the assault and nature of the attacks.

The final outage, since remedied, was actually due to an error in DNS settings on the final upgrade. It worked, til the "time to live" setting on DNS servers around the world started expiring and grabbing bad info. We fixed it and within an hour most system will have refreshed to the new, correct, settings.

On a Mac you can make this quicker in a terminal by this command:

sudo discoveryutil udnsflushcaches

On Windows: http://www.wikihow.com/Refresh-DNS

On Linux... you are probably smart enough to sort it out yourself!

On tablets/smart phones... you will need to wait an hour as the only way I'm aware of is to reset your network settings and that isn't worth saving an hour.

This sort of sucked, but at the end the resulting system is stronger.

Regards,

Ken N.

Edited by wgnoyes

They would upload to USPSA.org either way as well as ps.com

Update from Practiscore on FB:

The site is up right now. We are moving to another cloud provider. Our current one... keeps taking us offline because the DDOS attack on us is impacting other customers of theirs. ...

I'm not sure how long, we are working feverishly on it. No data will be lost on the migration.

Edited by wgnoyes