Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 Caliber

I'm ordering a XL 650 total setup for 45 acp I'm looking at what I would need to add a Caliber 223 Rem/5.56 so far I think this is what I will need I want to be able to change it out the fastest and EZ way with out changing the other Caliber setting this is the list I have so far.

21075 Casefeed Plate - Large Rifle

21101 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 223 Rem/5.56

10839 Dillon 223/5.56 3-Die Set - Steel $ 67.95

13254 Dillon 223/5.56 Rem Stainless Case Gage

22059 650 Deluxe Quick Change Kit

Also do I need to order this also

650 Priming Quick-Change assembly

Thanks for any help you can give

Edited by freedoms

I'm ordering a XL 650 total setup for 45 acp I'm looking at what I would need to add a Caliber 223 Rem/5.56 so far I think this is what I will need I want to be able to change it out the fastest and EZ way with out changing the other Caliber setting this is the list I have so far.

Go to Brian's store, click on Dillon Precision, click on 650, click on and read FAQ's, THEN PLACE YOUR ORDER WITH BRIAN,. He will review you order to insure every thing is correct and that you are not missing anything. You will also get a shipping discount by ordering from Brian. By buying from Brian, you also help to contribute to the cost of running this excellent resource that all of us enjoy and you will too.

I personally wouldn't go with the priming quick change assembly. It's pretty easy to change primer rotary plates so to me it is not worth the expense.

The other stuff looks right to me.

would I have to change the plates it to do this change from 45 acp to 223/5.56 ? Edited by freedoms

I personally wouldn't go with the priming quick change assembly. It's pretty easy to change primer rotary plates so to me it is not worth the expense.

The other stuff looks right to me.

would I have to change the plates it to do this change from 45 acp to 223/5.56 ?
would I have to change the plates it to do this change to from 45 acp 223/5.56 ?

For 223, you will need the Small Rifle Casefeed Plate. Everything else looks good.

For 223, you will need the Small Rifle Casefeed Plate. Everything else looks good.

I recheck and I did click on the wrong one thanks for pointing that out.

Case trimmers

Primer pocket swager

I did not see a replacement tool head in there. Maybe that is in the quick change kit?

If you are changing calibers a lot, get a spare white plastic nipple for the powder fail safe rod.

You probably need a different powder bar for the 223.

Case trimmers

Primer pocket swager

I did not see a replacement tool head in there. Maybe that is in the quick change kit?

If you are changing calibers a lot, get a spare white plastic nipple for the powder fail safe rod.

You probably need a different powder bar for the 223.

I think that all comes with The Deluxe Quick-Change Kit includes a Toolhead, Toolhead Stand, Powder Measure and Powder Die.

Do you know what the part number for Case trimmers, Primer pocket swager right now I'm only going to do45 acp and 223

and maybe down the road 9mm

Wrong Casefeed Plate... you need the "small" rifle

Add a .45 ACP Case Gauge to your order.

I'm reading over the thread and have a suggestion... I would suggest you order your 650 in 45 ACP and forget about loading 223/5.56 for a while. 45 ACP is relatively safe and easy round to load so it's a good choice to get started. Learn your new press and become proficient loading 45 ACP before you order the components necessary to load 223/5.56.

Wait to order 223/5.56 until YOU know EXACTLY what you need to get started. .223 is less forgiving with than 45 ACP. Go slow and learn. You'll know when you're ready to add a new caliber and you'll be better prepared to make decisions.

This pertains to rifle brass only...pistol loading is much easier...

If you are going to prep the brass on the 650 (which I highly advise) you will need;

another 650 toolhead for prep

a Dillon trimmer, 1200 or 1500

a universal decap die for the loading head

and a primer pocket swager - Dillon Super Swage 600

the process goes something like this;

tumble the brass clean

CASE LUBE IS MANDATORY! don't try to size rifle brass without it, it will stick in the die!

run thru the processing head with 2 dies;

1st die is full length size and decaper, decaps and sizes the brass to almost fitting a case gauge, but not quite

2nd die is trimmer which is also a size die. set the die to finish the size to gauge, and trims to 1.750

when setting up this head, keep both dies populated for consistency

then tumble to remove case lube, and

swage primer pockets with SS600 (if military brass)

then install the loading head;

1st die is universal decapper to remove tumbling media from primer pocket and flash hole

load as normal

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Wrong Casefeed Plate... you need the "small" rifle

Add a .45 ACP Case Gauge to your order.

I'm reading over the thread and have a suggestion... I would suggest you order your 650 in 45 ACP and forget about loading 223/5.56 for a while. 45 ACP is relatively safe and easy round to load so it's a good choice to get started. Learn your new press and become proficient loading 45 ACP before you order the components necessary to load 223/5.56.

Wait to order 223/5.56 until YOU know EXACTLY what you need to get started. .223 is less forgiving with than 45 ACP. Go slow and learn. You'll know when you're ready to add a new caliber and you'll be better prepared to make decisions.

This is what I have order so far.I was going to order this from Brian Enos's but on my local Gun Store forum I found a local Dillon dealer that came highly recommended that offer's the same pricing as Brian's just the shipping was higher $45.00 but also Includes Assembly/setup and operator training he's only 15 Min from my house he also dose all the NRA reloading training classes in the three states around me I'm also going to take the NRA reloading training on the next one he has.

This is the list that I have order with him.

1 Dillon XL650 45 acp. Press

2 Dillon XL650 Casefeed Assembly

3 650 only Strong Mount/Bullet Tray/Alum Roller Handle

4 Powder Check System

5 Low Powder Sensor

6 Primer Flip Tray

7 4-Pack Pickup Tubes, 2 Sm/2 Lg

8 650 Maintenance & Spare Parts Kit

9 Toolholder w/Wrenches

10 45 ACP Case Gages

11 45 ACP/GAP die sets

12 10-pack Pistol Die De-priming Pins

13 UniqeTek Micrometer Powder Bar Kit

14 UniqeTek Bin Dam XL650

15 Double Powder Baffle Dillon

16 5 Pak Depriming Pins

17 Frankfort Arsenal Vibra Primer Tube Filler

The 223 list is to add it to another list I'm going to place right away with Brian Enos's

this way I'll have everything down the road and save on shipping

I wasn't going to setup the 223 till I have become proficient loading 45 ACP.

This is the list that I'll be order this week.

1 Small one CM-500 Case/Media Separator

2 Dillon Case Lube

3 BrianEnos.com Pro-digital Scale

4 BrianEnos.com Digital Caliper

5 Dillon's CV-2001 Vibratory Case Cleaner

6 Dillon's Instructional DVDs

7 Competition Reloading DVD

8 Rapid Polish

9 Bullet Puller

10 650 Machine Cover

11 And I like to order everything to add a Caliber 223 Rem/5.56

Thanks for all your help