Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1x4 scopes

Rolex

I really liked my Trijicon 1-4 with the green dot. Glass was clear and that dot was always bright for quick target acquisition, and didn't wash out in sunlite on dark targets. It was capped and didn't have any elevation or windage stadia, which certainly won't be a problem at 100 yards. I found myself needing more magnification, so sold that for a 1-6. I would have gotten the Trijicon 1-6 but the $2k+ price tag is WAY out of its value proposition for me.

No more than 100 yards? Easy decision: Aimpoint or some other red dot!!! But since that's not your question...

I like my Vortex PST 1-4x. Although I wish the illumination was daylight visible, the reticle is pretty awesome and somewhat EOTech-ish: if you zero it for 100yards, you can use it like an EOTech circle on the close targets. Mine is uncapped because I got a deal on it used... would probably go capped if I bought it new. Capped vs. uncapped obviously isn't a deal breaker for me, but capped is safer if you really like to chuck that gun into barrels.

I certainly wouldn't rule out the Burris MTAC (especially if you can find a used one for cheap) but I didn't care for the zoom or illumination systems on the TAC-30.

Now, if the stars aligned just right, I'd look reeeeaaaal hard at the Burris XTR II 1-5x. The price is significantly more than a PST but isn't outrageous compared to most 1-6x's, and the reticle is daylight visible. Burris also has beautiful glass. Also, I think the XTR might be made in the USA? Or Japan? Not sure about the last part, and if you don't care about that then you don't care about that...