Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Reset Issue

johnsons1480

Did a search and came up short. I broke my gun down to bare metal yesterday to clean it. I noticed my DA pull was creepy/stagey, so I decided to do some more polishing. I put the gun back together, and everything seemed to be fine. I don't think I dropped much, if any, weight off of the DA pull, but it feels much smoother.

Now on to the problem. I dry fired the trigger a few times and everything was fine. I put in a magazine and started doing my dry fire, and noticed that my trigger would drag on reset. I was using the CZ dry fire technique. DA first pull, then let out just before the DA reset, and pull again. With a magazine inserted, the trigger would come back very slowly. With no magazine, everything is fine. I THINK it's the magazine pushing against the trigger bar return spring. I could be way off base with that though.

All I know for sure is, magazine in = problem present. No magazine, no problem. I need to get this sorted out before Friday. Please help!

Off the top of my head, did you possibly over tighten the Mag release screw? The screw that holds the mag release spring and the Trigger Bar lifter spring? If you tighten it too much, the trigger bar lifter spring tends to pull away from the frame and makes reset a problem. First, you need to blue loctite the mag release screw, second, tighten in to where you see the lifter spring start to pull away from the side, if memory serves, it will the right side if the frame is pointing away from you. Once it starts to pull away, back the screw out so the spring returns to the correct position, resting against the side of the frame. Let the loctite set. Should be good to go.

other than that, i can't think of anything.

I have it fairly loose because I had read that you shouldn't make it gorilla tight. I played with the screw a little bit last night, and it seemed to reset fine for a few pulls then it would start having the issue again. I haven't put in any loctite, but if that's the fix I'll try it.

I have it fairly loose because I had read that you shouldn't make it gorilla tight. I played with the screw a little bit last night, and it seemed to reset fine for a few pulls then it would start having the issue again. I haven't put in any loctite, but if that's the fix I'll try it.

If the screw is too loose, it will prevent reset because the trigger bar will drag on it.

the loctite won't fix the reset problem. Make sure you figure out the problem first before you loctite it down. that just prevents it from backing out and causing a reset problem.

Do you think that the trigger bar is dragging on the screw? I'm a little lost as to what the problem could be. There is no reset issue at all until a magazine is inserted. Could the retaining screw possibly be pushed up after the mag release spring is compressed when a magazine is inserted? I guess I could try to duplicate the problem by pushing up on the screw while pulling the trigger.

Take your slide & grips off, Look and see if the trigger bar spring is in the groves on the trigger bar. insert the mag, work the trigger, look & see if the mag is rubbing on the trigger bar or spring. Trigger bar spring screw needs to be tight just not over tight.

I appreciate the input. I took the gun apart, lock tighted that screw, put it back together, problem solved. I have no idea what the problem was. I must have assembled it incorrectly the first time. Anyway, it's working. I'll have a practice session Friday before my match Saturday to make darn sure it's working

Seth M. Johnson

agreed. I'm very confident with my CZ and tanfo internals but that is a screw I just leave alone unless for some reason I had to replace the mag catch or the spring itself. Both my Shadows have that screw heavily staked. I've seen a couple of pics from guys who tried to remove it and broke the head off. I would worry about getting it out cleanly and would have no way to stake it back in like the factory did (though it most likely doesn't 'need' to be staked like that).

There's no reason you can't fully clean the frame etc with the spring, screw and mag catch still in there. Even ultrasonic etc.

The key to removing that screw is having a gunsmith screwdriver. One where the blade is square, not a wedge like normal screwdrivers. If you use a wedge like screwdriver, it will slip, especially if the screw is staked, and bugger up that screw. Get a decent gunsmith took kit, I bought one at Wally World for like $10, and it will be easy. It doesn't need to be staked, just blue loctited. I never had an issue removing and then replacing that screw. Just needs a little extra care.

With that said, what BeerBaron said is also true. You don't need to remove it to fully clean it.

I needed to take it out to polish the frame underneath it where the trigger bar rides. I don't plan on removing it again unless I decide to put an extended mag release in. I have hollow ground screwdrivers from a good gunsmith screwdriver set. They work great for this. I never had an issue taking the screw out, but I hadn't used locktite when I put it back in. I appreciate the advice on that, gun in working fine again (at least in dry fire).

The key to removing that screw is having a gunsmith screwdriver. One where the blade is square, not a wedge like normal screwdrivers. If you use a wedge like screwdriver, it will slip, especially if the screw is staked, and bugger up that screw. Get a decent gunsmith took kit, I bought one at Wally World for like $10, and it will be easy. It doesn't need to be staked, just blue loctited. I never had an issue removing and then replacing that screw. Just needs a little extra care.

With that said, what BeerBaron said is also true. You don't need to remove it to fully clean it.

great tip. thanks. :)