Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 Gr. bullets

Novie

I have a 16" Rock River rifle that is used mostly for 3 gun. I have been shooting 55 FMJ, but wanted more accuracy. The barrel is labeled to have a 1 in 9 twist. I tried 77 gr match bullets with keyholes at 100 yds. Then 69 gr, 2.5 in 100 yd groups. In frustration I loaded up some 50 gr varmint bullets that was used in my 220 Swift. 1/2" 100 yd groups. Now the question is will 50 gr bullets work in a 3 gun match?

How far are you shooting in your matches? I wouldn't even think about going above 55gr unless I was planning to shoot past 400yds and I was expecting strong winds. Inside 400 your bullets trajectory and ability to buck wind is almost entirely velocity based, BC doesn't really start to play a part yet. You should have plenty of velocity with 50gr load so if the accuracy meets your goals then go for it. I would definitely test some 55gr loads before committing to any less standard bullet weights though, if for no other reason than cost and component availability.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I highly suggest that you run a ballistics program with what ever bullet you think you want to shoot. I believe that you will find that past 300 yds or so the heavy bullets will pay off. Remember that 2.5" might not sound like much when comparing wind drift between a 55 and 77 at 400 yds but 12.8" for the 55 and 10" for the 77 is a 2.8" or 28% reduction in wind drift. It gets "better" for the 77 after that.

You will also find that bullet weight also translates to retained energy. I find that the heavier bullets take down larue's easier and while this is subjective, the 77 does retain more energy at range.

JBM has a great ballistic program and you can build your own charts. I have found that drop is about the same with my 77 and 55 but the 77s get the nod for bucking the wind much better.

If you cant get your rifle to shoot the bullet well then there is no reason to shoot them unless its on real close targets and if they are key-holing, yes, a lighter bullet is in order.

It is very common for light bullets to shoot very well in fast twist barrels (52/53 match) in a 1-7 20" ar barrel.

Edited by dauntedfuture

I wouldn't give up on 69 grain bullets if you are reloading. I have a J.P. rifle that will throw an 8" group at 100 with the Nozler 69 and Hornady 68 grain match bullets. It will shoot 3/4" groups with the Sierra 69 grain bullet. This IS NOT to say Nozler and Hornady are bad...my other J.P. shoots any of the 3 lights out....but every barrel is different! I've got a 18" barrel that absolutely loves the Nozler 77, but hates all other "heavies" with a passion.

If you want to stay with 55s try some Ultramax loaded with the Nozler 55 gr. Ballistic tip, or Outback bullets 55 grain Sierra ballistic tips. Both are much better bullets than any FMJ, and those are the bullets i load for all 3-gunning I do.

Edited by kurtm