Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now I have a flinch?

ArrDave

So I picked up a Dan Wesson Valor with the intent of shooting CDP this year. Used to have a Glock 21 and could cloverleaf with ease at 10 yes... Shooting at the top end of Sharpshooter with my 34, then I transition to this 1911 and have this hideous flinch. I made freaking marksman on my classifier because I missed 2 head shots and was 71(!) points down on the third stage. At 7 yes it's good for about 3-4 inches 10 -15 it gets closer to a foot and way worse at 20, nearly the length of the target? Anyone have methods for training through a flinch aside from dry firing? I dry fire a decent amount as is.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

It is probably not a flinch, but a difference in triggers. After coming off a striker fired gun I had the same problem for a little while. Once I got used to the shorter trigger travel the problem went away. I bet if you fired slowfire (as in 1 shot at the target, lower the gun and shoot again with concentration on slowly breaking the trigger) the problem would go away. Basically shoot awhile till you get used to the different trigger.

Agreed. It is the difference in the way the triggers break. I recently switched to a 2011 from a glock. My accuracy and speed is slowly coming back after a lot of dry and live fire. Slow fire with the 2011 trigger is easy. Its a tack driver. Accuracy at speed is the kicker.

Edited by LoganbillJ

I hope it is as simple as you guys say. Super humbling running the gun well but being unable to get good hits even when I think I am taking enough time

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Agreed. It is the difference in the way the triggers break. I recently switched to a 2011 from a glock. My accuracy and speed is slowly coming back after a lot of dry and live fire. Slow fire with the 2011 trigger is easy. Its a tack driver. Accuracy at speed is the kicker.

Ok that is where we differ, I cannot get good accuracy period

I've been going through the same thing. 14 years on glocks then switched to a 2011 in September.

How much group shooting have you done? Taking the time to shoot groups will show you where your short comings are with your trigger pull.

Not much. I usually shoot a weekly indoor match and that's it. I probably need to do that more

Shot slow fire at lunch, minor flinch. Dropping shots resulted from extending as far out with the gun as I do my Glocks. When I backed it off a little the bullets started going where I wanted them to. Also noticed something wildly important: at some point during the match yesterday the locktite on my rear sight gave up and my sight was swinging freely in the dovetail in recoil, so I was likely battling that in stage 3 as well. I do over extend on each string of fire for the first shot, so it looks like dry fire is going to cure what ails me.

Agreed.

Even different triggers in the same pistol makes a difference. I shoot an M&P with a stock trigger relatively flinch-free. When I tried my brother's M&P with the new flat-faced trigger, I pulled the sights out of alignment very noticeably whenever the trigger broke.

same issue for me, switching from a glock to a CZ. So both a DA and SA now from a striker. Shooting some singles on DA for a bit, then DA/SA, then speed it up tell I flinch; repeat. It has gotten better, but still not the Glock. When I am shooting it correctly it is quicker and more accurate; but then I go stupid and start slinging them.

I actually will be attempting my first one this week. I've been shooting groups slowly, but my confidence at speed is shattered.

So I picked up a Dan Wesson Valor with the intent of shooting CDP this year. Used to have a Glock 21 and could cloverleaf with ease at 10 yes... Shooting at the top end of Sharpshooter with my 34, then I transition to this 1911 and have this hideous flinch. I made freaking marksman on my classifier because I missed 2 head shots and was 71(!) points down on the third stage. At 7 yes it's good for about 3-4 inches 10 -15 it gets closer to a foot and way worse at 20, nearly the length of the target? Anyone have methods for training through a flinch aside from dry firing? I dry fire a decent amount as is.

The difference is a gun like a Glock is fired by "pulling through" the trigger since it gives no indication of break. A 1911 works best if you stage the trigger to the break point, stabilize everything then break the shot.