Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which bullet feeder

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What collator one uses with any feeder doesn't really matter. The only collators around when I had my first bullet feeder were the MA Systems collators and they were $1000. So I built my first collator.

feeder4.jpg

I did convert a KISS (what they were called before MBF) collator to work with a GSI tool head that a friend had. Mounted about the same as the homemade collator in that video as well as the one on this machine.

feeder1.jpg

Edited by jmorris

I know, but i use lee factory crimp. So i will run out of space anyway.

Yep. Fair enough. If you really want to keep both powder check and separate seat and crimp on a 650 then the gsi toolhead is the way to go.

Like you I do have separate seat and crimp (also using fcd) but I don't run a powder check.

Jmorris, Im considering getting a 1050 GSI toolhead for loading 9 major as I have 2,5mm seating depth, and makeing it run 100% without bullet topple and not 100% complete seating is just hard.

If I open it up enough to properly seat, say close to 2mm, I dont have enough bullethold.

Are you happy with yours?

I have 3 mrbf on misc 1050 and 650 and Im generally happy with product, also considering just useing mrbf hopper, and just useing the gsi to seat (on 1050)

The GSI makes even more sense on the 1050 and if you already have the collator you would just need the tool head/feeder. The last few I bought were around $325. If you consider the fact that an extra stock 1050 tool head from Dillon is $200 the GSI is a bargain.

I got to use the GSI unit this weekend. Can someone tell me the advantage to buying the Mr Bullet? Going to order a feeder this week. Just want to get the best one. The GSI performed flawless....What makes the Mr bullet better?

if your GSI works 100% then there's not really any benefit to getting a MBF. In fact the way the GSI feeder/seater works means you don't loose a station to just 'feeding' the bullet like you do with the MBF. The reason so many prefer the MBF is:

1 it's cheaper (but with the GSI you get a toolhead)

2 it's cheaper to add to multiple tooheads (you just buy an extra dropper/die)

3 many guys had issues with reliability of the GSI collator and found it difficult to tune and weren't getting good reliability out of it. Conversely the MBF is easy to tune/setup and easy to adjust for different bullet sizes. Mine gets an upside down bullet maybe one in 500 or even less often than that these days.

So if your GSI collator runs nicely and you don't need extra calibres the GSI should be just the ticket. :)

This looks intriguing.... RCBS Universal Pistol Bullet Feeder. Comes with all adapters to load multiple pistol calibers. There's a video on YouTube showing operation on a 650 and it works. Price is even more enticing at around $260 shipped.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/rcbs-bullet-feeder-pistol-kit-82350.html

The rcbs is a bargain at $216. It has one large disadvantage over the mbf which is it relies on bullets landing in slots in the correct orientation. Everything it kicks back to the feed stock. The mbf will take an upside down bullet and flip it but will leave a correctly oriented bullet alone. That makes it twice as fast (actually seems even more than that).

Probably the other part I don't like is what looked like plastic fingers in the dropper.

Having said that at less than half the price of the mbf it represents awesome value for anyone after a bullet feeder on a budget.

Regular price is $419, so that is a bargain.

You can order the expanders form Mr Bullet feeder. Drop right into the powder die on DIllon presses and do an excellent job of giving a step expansion for the bullet to sit in the case.

The RCBS might still be quick enough to keep up though.

It works on the same concept at the Hornady one but the one for the LNL never shuts off.

You can see how it works around 4:30 and what you would have to listen to the entire time your loading around 5:45 in this video.

This is the MBF collator and when the tube is full it shuts off

Sorry to put it bluntly, but the Hornady feeder is pure junk. I had it, and did several modifications to it, made it whole lot better, but eventually replaced it with MBF and never looked back.

I installed the cut off switch to it, otherwise the constant noise was impossible to live with. I also made a tight lid for it, with sound absorbing material, and that helped too.

But there was nothing I could do about it being huge and butt-ugly.

BTW - one minor point about the new MBF - the old one's case was made of vinyl, the new one has metal shroud. The sound of bullets falling back was much, much more pleasant in the old one - as we know, vinyl is one of the best vibration absorbers, so you get a faint dull knock.

The metal shroud makes the knocks much more pronounced, louder and sharper, far less pleasant.

So if there was one request for Rick - I would like him to return to vinyl.

post-21305-0-11302700-1449071796_thumb.j

post-21305-0-85260700-1449071811_thumb.j

post-21305-0-80625000-1449071824_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

Yours is also plastic (vinyl?), so the thuds are dull, as they should be.

The new MBF makes pretty ringy "Ping!" sound. The 2/3 circle fence part is hard aluminum, about 4mm thick, so it sounds like a small bell.

Yep. Current mbf is louder but I've only found it noticeable at 2 points. First is when initially filling the drop tube the second is when it runs low on bullets as they are more likely to hit the wall rather than just a pile of other bullets.

Here's a vid of mine running. Tube was already full so you can see how quickly it keeps up with a rate of 1000 rph+ that's the big advantage of being able to feed bullets that hit a slot in either orientation.

I do agree the rcbs probably could keep up with 1000 rph+ on a 650. Not sure how reliable it is though.