Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered a Grand Power

After finding every distributor out of X=Calibur's I ordered a GP100 X-Trim. the trigger isn't as nice, but parts are switchable, also, no bull barrel makes it IDPA legal. There shouldn't be much difference, atleast it will give me the chance to try out the grip, feel, etc, and also do a little work to one to see what's possible.

I'm interested to hear what you find. I got an X-Cal (my LGS said it was the last one at the distributors they use) and I confirmed the findings of other posters who said it recoiled comparably to an SP01, but at a much lighter weight. I am now going back and forth between the X-C and the SP01 during practice. The downside of the X-C, as you noted, is that it is likely not IDPA-legal because of the bull barrel, although I guess its up to the discretion of MD's what a bull barrel is and isn't. But if the X-Trim can be made to run comparably to the X-C, it could be pretty awesome for IDPA.

After finding every distributor out of X=Calibur's I ordered a GP100 X-Trim. the trigger isn't as nice, but parts are switchable, also, no bull barrel makes it IDPA legal. There shouldn't be much difference, atleast it will give me the chance to try out the grip, feel, etc, and also do a little work to one to see what's possible.

The x-trim doesnt have as long a barrel/slide as the x-cal as well. Which probably wont make all that much difference for IDPA

Honestly, It doesn't make that much difference for 99% of the matches out there.

Initial impression Video is below. I found out that my old M&P holster fits it great, so i spent some time dryfiring, i am in love with this gun.... with the X-Calibur having a slightly longer slide that's great, but this will suit 99% of my needs for the foreseeable future, I may at some point pick up an X-Cal. but it will be a good while, I could possibly shoot the P1 in IDPA CCP division, which would be a total Gamer setup.

I thought all competition classes, IPSC and IPDA both, were always either fully decocked or cocked and safed? Is there something that requires safing a decocked gun?

No, just I do hear from some folks that want more for a house/car gun. Two deliberate but natural actions to get the gun into play I suppose.

I am not quite sure what would make the X-Calibur illegal in IDPA?

That's the way it comes out of the box, with a fluted bull barrel and ported slide.

And yes, IDPA just like in USPSA Production commands you to start decocked. Currently no decocker means you need to use your thumb to slowly lower the hammer.

I think its the bull barrel, but that point probably requires clarification. Maybe I'll post the question elsewhere and see what others say.

I posted the section of rules about the SSP division and I did not see anything claiming that bull barrels were illegal in IDPA.

Now, the bubba who holds the clock may have an issue based on the fact that the pistol looks "weird" and that it violates some tenants of his religion. In this case, he should leave his religion at home.

I see nothing at all which would prevent the X-Calibur from competing in IDPA Stock Service Pistol.

I think its the bull barrel, but that point probably requires clarification. Maybe I'll post the question elsewhere and see what others say.

I posted the section of rules about the SSP division and I did not see anything claiming that bull barrels were illegal in IDPA.

Now, the bubba who holds the clock may have an issue based on the fact that the pistol looks "weird" and that it violates some tenants of his religion. In this case, he should leave his religion at home.

I see nothing at all which would prevent the X-Calibur from competing in IDPA Stock Service Pistol.

http://www.idpa.com/misc/docs/2015IDPA-Rules-MA-V1.0.pdf

Current rule book Page 9 Rule 1.4.1.6

Steve

I'm curious why you did not hold out for an X-Calibur

1 until a gun shows up in my hand, it's just a hope. I am in the midst of a comeback that will require practice ( especially dry) of a gigantic proportion, This is something that needs done NOW, not months from now when a gun MAY show up.

2 even though a good friend and fellow shooter who knows me well promised I'd love it gave me the recommendation his hands aren't mine. and I still might have needed to go after a stock 1 or stock 2... and i may stil i have about 20 rounds through it.

3 the x cal isn't IDPA legal, This doesn't make a big difference but I do hope to shoot a couple of local IDPA matches. this year, maybe even a state match.

Well, I cannot download the PDF, because of my firewall (I am on my lunch break), if you could paste the section that you believe would not allow an X-Cal to shoot IDPA in SSP, I am curious to see it. It may still be possible to shoot in ESP.

But like zhunter says: "Ummm". I am having 100x more fun shooting unaffiliated indoor matches at private gun range, outdoor night steel matches and the occasional USPSA match (like 2 a month on average) to even trying wasting my time shooting IDPA. But to each his own, especially if your local club is IDPA-oriented. We have one club here in Phoenix like that (PRGC).

As for getting used to it, well there is no difference in the gripping and overall handling between the K100 and the X-Cal. That's the miracle they managed to accomplish. I feel absolutely no difference in weight, grip or even recoil. The X-Cal is much more accurate, the K100 MK7 has a shorter reset. It stops there.

The K100 is the first gun I purchased with the intent to shoot in practical competitions. Which means I did not carry habits from a different pistol. If this is a reboot after a long break, I do not see any issue with buying the X-Cal straight ahead.

Non-IDPA

Legal Modifications

Check for compensators and ports

Check for add on weights

Check the guide rod material

Check for metal magazine ga

p plugs and brass magazine wells

Check the grip material

Barrels longer than 4.25”

(

mm

)

must not be heavy or cone style.

Sights must be conventional post and notch.

AS you can see PDF does not go well.

Really, you think so?

Then I'll bring a Webster dictionary and show them the definition of a cone and ask them to show me how it applies to this :)

Seriously, maybe it could be considered somewhat of a cone barrel. In IDPA, it is all about judgement calls. Contrary to common perception, the IDPA rulebook is very slim and leaves too much open for interpretation.

Best would be to ask the IDPA folks.

I could see the X-Cal barrel being called 'cone style.'

...but you'd have to call the K100 the same. Bushingless barrels having a bit of taper to them isn't exactly anything new or revolutionary. It's just a way to help actions cycle reliably while still allowing for tight lock-up.

As for bull barrel, I would have to think they have an appendix or something the qualifies such terms. If not, their rules are meaningless.

Maybe I'm taking too narrow a view of the matter. However, there is only one profile of barrel offered for the X-Calibur. The only optional barrel is the unfluted version (which is not well suited to 147gr ammo).

To me, a bull barrel suggests an aftermarket or factory barrel with a heavier than standard profile.