Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 IPSC STD

Stuck in C

I'm about to start reloading for my CZ75 IPSC std, 40 S&W for limited (major, I hope). Anybody out there have any suggestions for an OAL to try? I'm not sure how long a cartridge will fit in the magazines. Should I just start with the longest that will fit in the mags and see if they will function in the gun? I will be using MG 180 gr CMJ's and Titegroup. Thanks.

I'm about to start reloading for my CZ75 IPSC std, 40 S&W for limited (major, I hope). Anybody out there have any suggestions for an OAL to try? I'm not sure how long a cartridge will fit in the magazines. Should I just start with the longest that will fit in the mags and see if they will function in the gun? I will be using MG 180 gr CMJ's and Titegroup. Thanks.

Just be sure the bullet is not contacting the rifling. Let us know what you come up with for a max COL, thanks.

Carlos, what say you?

Max is about 1.170 for a Zero 180 grn JHP to fit & feed from the mag. I use about 1.160 w/ either N320 or N330 under Zero 180 JHP or discontinued Star 180 FMJ TC.

UPDATE: Just to confirm that MAX OAL is 1.170 or less, I tried some of my long-loaded .40 for the SV/STI .40. THis ammo is loaded to an OAL of 1.200" with a Zero 180 JHP Result:

1) With barrel out of the gun, it fit in the barrel without evidence of touching the rifling. Apparently the chamber is throated long.

2) More than one round of LONG .40 would not fit in magazine

3) A single round of long .40 will feed from the mag & into the chamber w/o evidence of touching the rifling. The ejection port is not large enough to allow the loaded LONG .40 to eject. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

Thanks for the info. I made up some dummy rounds at various lengths and tried them out. The max length that works through the mags is about 1.17. This doesn't appear to contact the rifling. To have a margin of error I would probably use a max length of 1.15-1.16.

Would there be any advantage to using this length (1.150) instead of the SAAMI max length of 1.135? Is it enough of a difference to change the pressure?

If you're just a "little" too long then every once in a while your slide won't close by itself - you will have to tap on the back of the slide. The round is stuck between the barrel feedramp at the front and the mag feedlips at the back.

Also you want some margin [tolerance] for having the longest round you ever make, whatever the variables with your press&brass&bullets, so that that longest round within your tolerance [say, .008"] will feed from the very bottom of ALL your magazines to the top of ALL your magazines, without problems.

Just a guess, I'd say you'll have best results between 1.125 and 1.135 with flatnose or hollowpoint bullets. There are very few roundnose 40cal bullets, but they could go a little longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with 1.135 OAL for the CZ IPSC STD, which seems to function fine in the magazines and pistol. However, with 180 g MG cmj's and 4.6 gr of Titegroup I'm only getting a PF of 162. The load is clean and soft, with no over pressure signs. Its also very accurate. The book max is 4.7 gr at an OAL of 1.126. I wonder if I should bump the charge up to 4.8 gr or so, or just give up on Titegroup and try a different (slower) powder?

From my post above: "I use about 1.160 w/ either N320 or N330 under Zero 180 JHP or discontinued Star 180 FMJ TC."

While I like & use Titegroup at times, it is supposed to have the highest nitro content of any current commercial double based powder (about 37% according to Hodgdon). So what you ask? So . . . it tends to burn a little hotter & also seems to produce more smoke when loaded behind lead bullets than say, V V N330 behind those same bullets as the same PF.

I think N330 w/ a 180 at 1.160 is about ideal since i can use it in my SV as well as the Standard IPSC. Clean, relaitevly soft shooting and versatile.

D.C. Johnson

• 1 year later...

I just started loading for CZ TS around June. After doing some testing and asking alot of questions, I figured out the best OAL for the TS 1.16 with a possible variance out to 1.165. The 1.170 was showing serious rifling gouges (Precision Moly Coat 185RN). Once I got the OAL down to 1.160 the gun started running like a champ. It's pretty impressive actually! That gun in general is reliable as hell.

I was using a load of Ramshot Competition loaded out to 1.165 and it seemed like a good load but I was also having problems with extraction/double feeding. In my slow discovery as what might be the cause, I first replaced the extractor spring then replaced the slick looking makfakta magwell back to the factory plastic and now I'm going to a OAL of 1.145. Interestingly enough, when I run the S&B factory rounds that are flat nose and loaded out to 1.125 the Tac Sport loves to eat that stuff up. By the way I'm trying to run the pistol in Limited and have modified the back edges of the Taylor Freelance +2.5 basepads so that I can get 19 rounds consistently.