Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a pistol "nicked"

kurtm

I made travel strikers for my game Glocks, in case they get stolen out of my hotel room or truck ---- benchground the tip off. Gun goes together normally --- but simply clicks.......

Of course the downside is that one of these days, I'll start a match with one in the gun.....

Having been at a local match in PA a few years ago when a well known someone's gun was stolen from his vehicle, I now lock everything up. The idiot who stole the gun was a drug addict and tried to hock it at a NJ pawn shop. The pawn shop guy took one look at the very exotic (one of only a handful in the country) gun and promptly called the police, who proceed to arrest the idiot. The guy got his gun back.

I hope you get your gun back.

-David

I made travel strikers for my game Glocks, in case they get stolen out of my hotel room or truck ---- benchground the tip off. Gun goes together normally --- but simply clicks.......

Of course the downside is that one of these days, I'll start a match with one in the gun.....

I trust you stay in a better class of hotels than I - or else keep something handy in case of an uninvited "guest" to your room....

I trust you stay in a better class of hotels than I - or else keep something handy in case of an uninvited "guest" to your room....

The motel I patronized to attend the Indiana State match in 2003 was one of the sariest places I've been. I don't know why I stayed instead of just going somewhere else, but it's the only time I ever slept with the AR loaded right beside in a motel (usually it's in its case near me).

Here is where I remind everyone that you have $1000 worth of insurance on your guns if you are an NRA member, plus you can get more coverage at very reasonable rates.

Kurt, I'm terribly sorry to hear this happened to you! I've had stuff stolen and I share your rage.

I really doubt that it was a fellow shooter. There are way more meth addicts than shooters everywhere these days and they are bold as hell. USPSA isn't really a huge spectator sport and the few spectators we have are interested in watching the action. And they usually ask lots of questions. I think we had all better start watching each others vehicles and gear really close and keeping an eye out for people that don't seem to fit the time and place.

Just remember if you catch anyone red-handed attempting to lift your piece, he is armed and dangerous. Whether or not he has any ammo is his problem....

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine it was a fellow competitor. They wouldn't risk being caught over the SS Springfield, cause it's plain stupid! Best of luck. I hope you find it. It's not so much the value of the weapon, but the thought of being violated.

Feel fortunate you are not in Massachusetts. If you told the police a gun was stolen from an unlocked vehicle (even on private property), you would be facing criminal charges of unsecured storage of a firearm and would also face immediate recovocation of your MA gun license, as well as a statuatory lifetime ban on ownership if convicted. If they caught the person who took the gun, there is the chance they would offer him immunity in return for testifying the vehicle was unlocked when he stole the gun.

No, this is not a joke - this is really how the DPRM works.

Hey, this is the way it also works in jolly old England! God forbid you shoot a burgular...you'll get your ass handed to you by the courts as well as the burgular. Might as well help him load your furniture into his truck.

Just an added note...

It is not unheard of for thieves to steal from gun matches. Here not long back the "Miami Massacre" where some FBI agents were killed along with the perps. The guns the perps had were for the most part stolen from gun ranges. Two (I think ) while a match was going on. In one instance they killed the owner and took his gun anyway... "COLD RANGE RULE" they had a loaded weapon and for safety sake the owner had an unloaded one.

HOT RANGES RULE :D