Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a good deal for open gun? (Picture Added)

Revo357

If you send Brandon at SVI an email with the serial number of the frame he can at a minimum (hopefully) tell you when the frame was built and/or who it was shipped to originally. This is under the assumption it is not an in-house SVI build; with a Caspian slide I would guess not.

Good luck.

Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it!

When I talked to the dealer he said he couldn't give out the previous owners name or number for privacy purposes, which I hadn't thought of at the time. So I wasn't able to get much information about the gun from the actual user. It bugs me I don't know builder, round count, etc. about the gun, figure I'll just shoot the heck out of it until the accuracy gets bad enough then replace the barrel.

When I talked to the dealer he said he couldn't give out the previous owners name or number for privacy purposes. So I wasn't able to get much information about the gun from the actual user. It bugs me I don't know builder, round count, etc. about the gun

I ran into the same problem with mine, not being able to talk to the original owner.

Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it!

When I talked to the dealer he said he couldn't give out the previous owners name or number for privacy purposes, which I hadn't thought of at the time. So I wasn't able to get much information about the gun from the actual user. It bugs me I don't know builder, round count, etc. about the gun, figure I'll just shoot the heck out of it until the accuracy gets bad enough then replace the barrel.

I just bought an older Tripp Research open gun a few months ago. The first thing I wanted to do was update it. But with all the great advise I received on this forum, I'm going to leave it alone for now and shoot the hell out of it. I might put in an aftec extractor and nothing else. My deal wasn't anywhere near as good as yours but for the state I live in and how hard these guns are to find here, I had to jump on it. I'm in the same boat as you with not knowing who built it or exact round count. Everything looks good on it and she's still tight so I'm going to run it till it begs to be prettied up.

I'm relieved to hear others have been in the same circumstance as mine and have had good luck. I wasn't even thinking about it being an outdated model or updating it when I bought it until others said so on here. But for the deal and being my first open gun I'm pretty excited to use the heck out of it. Haha, pretty or not, we'll have fun with it.

That's the only thing I don't like about it, not having a slide racker. The back of the slide is milled way forward so I'm not sure if I could mount one on it. Not positive if anyone can see that in the photo or not.

Looking at the picture carefully I can't help but notice the mag catch. Is that a lefty grip?

As for a dovetail to install a slide racker, ask a gunsmith if there's enough material to machine a partial dovetail. It won't be a nice, blended racker but you'll have a racker.

The rig that came with gun was for a right handed shooter, so I think he just used his trigger finger for the mag release to make sure it was out of the trigger guard. I was afraid it would get in the way but I kinda like the safety of it. It's going to take some getting used to for sure. I'll have to find a competent gunsmith to ask about that racker since clearing malfunctions or racking the slide in general is ackward.

Edited by Revo357

• 4 weeks later...

Do not listen to the advice to upgrade it. Buy it, shoot, it, practice. Use all the money you would have spent buying a $3000 open gun or "fixing" this one on ammo.

If/when you get to a point you feel the gun is ever holding you back (if ever), sell it for more than you paid for it and buy a new one.

Great deal to get into Open "turn key".

Listen to what this guys has to say! Every good advice...IMO