Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a shotgun. Choices, choices, choices...

CyclicRate

Hello all,

I want to pick up a semi auto shotgun in the next six months for 3 gun competition. I usually shoot the tactical optics division so I'm looking for something with or capable of 9 round capacity. So far I've read a bunch of posts on the Versa Max Competition Tactical, Mossberg 930 JM, and the Beretta 1301 Comp. From what I've read here, the Versa Max and Mossberg both seem to have some problems, especially the Remington. I'm not recoil sensitive, but the very low recoil on the Versa Max makes it tempting. However, it's also right at my $1200 price limit and the reliability issues some people are having make me uneasy. Additionally, it seems like everyone has been very happy with the Beretta 1301 and the Mossberg 930 JM is definitely the best low cost option. I'd like to get some more opinions on these three. Are there any other shotguns I should consider?

Thank you,

Drew

I cannot speak on the versamax tactical or the 3gun version but I have a 26" versamax sportsman with a +7 Nordic extention and it has ran FLAWLESSLY no matter what I have fed it! And it is very light on recoil. Currently with Jeff at c-rums getting loadin port opened , welded lifter, throat barrel , and extended bolt release. Can't wait to get it back.

I cannot speak on the versamax tactical or the 3gun version but I have a 26" versamax sportsman with a +7 Nordic extention and it has ran FLAWLESSLY no matter what I have fed it! And it is very light on recoil. Currently with Jeff at c-rums getting loadin port opened , welded lifter, throat barrel , and extended bolt release. Can't wait to get it back.

can you please post pictures when the versamax comes back! thanky ...

can you please post pictures when the versamax comes back! thanky ...

Gladly

Kelley - I saw those. I just didn't know what options, or all options, were included in the 'competition' package and for what price. I sent them an email though. Thanks again!

Josh - I'm glad yours has been reliable. Maybe the bad reviews were limited to the competition tactical model only?

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck - I'm sure it will be fine. You're always going to get a zillion different opinions My shotgun experience has been limited to a Model 12, Remington 1100, Remington 870, and now a Versamax. I've only shot the Versamax a few times and once at a competition. Thus far it has run flawlessly and I love it!

The Versa Max definitely had my attention, but the thread here worried me. Poor guy had lots of issues with his comp tac model. It may have been a lemon. But for that kind of money, it shouldn't make it out of the factory. I ended up ordering a Stoeger M3000 from MOA Precision with a bunch of work for the same price as a Versa Max comp tac. I'll post a review when I get some time behind it.