Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a Case-Pro 100, too?

I thought I had accumulated virtually everything I needed to begin reloading: New Dillon XL 650 with Dillon and third-party after-market accessories; Forster Co-Ax; Redding dies; Giraud Power Trimmer; RCBS Chargemaster Combo; a bookshelf full of reloading manuals; boxes of new or once-fired cases; 1,000's of bullets; jugs of powder; Thumbler's Tumbler; and the list goes on and on ($$$).

Now tonight, browsing postings, I see a thread about the Case-Pro 100. You could've knocked me over with a feather. How did I miss it? Must I purchase that, too?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only if you want to roll-size your brass to restore it to factory specs

Is it primarily necessary to resize brass at the base when it is used in match-type custom fitted barrels, hot reloads, or reloaded multiple times? If failure to return cases to factory specs when reloading commonly causes feeding problems in production pistols, then I am surprised that major manufacturers of reloading equipment aren't offering something like the Case-Pro 100.

I guess the most practical decision would be to wait and see if I need it in my own situation before placing an order. However, with the long wait times others have mentioned, if I need it then I'd rather go ahead and place the order now v. some months later when I start having problems.

This is my experience......I roll size every pistol case on my Case-pro 100 and then load...99% will chamber NO problem. It is good to know that The case base and rim are as close to OEM specs as possible. Every reloader will benefit from roll sizing no matter what type of gun you are shooting.

Yes the wait is LOOOONG but it is worth it. That's why I own 2x Case-pro 100.

Do you have to have one? No.

I reloaded for more than 25 years without one. Went 20 years with out a case gauge.

Both are just tools that help, not necessities.

Would you reload without a Case-pro or any other roll sizer now?

No case gauge but checked rounds using the "barrel plunk" method?

And jmorris is correct...You don't need it but it sure won't hurt if you get and use one.

Edited by Kaskillo

My buddy got a CasePro after reading threads like the ones that got your attention. He uses it on .38 SuperComp every tenth reload, or fairly close, and really hasn't noticed a difference compared to the fifteen years prior to purchasing. He volunteered to do mine, so I let him, but I see no discernible difference from one to the other. My .02

This is my experience......I roll size every pistol case on my Case-pro 100 and then load...99% will chamber NO problem. It is good to know that The case base and rim are as close to OEM specs as possible.

Same here! Only I get it with a LEE die or sometimes a Udie for about $40 total! :cheers: If somebody gave me one, sure I would take it. But I would never pay so much for so little.

At some point most of us need to draw the line when it comes to $$$. I would rather spend close to $1000 on powder and primers to last me quite awhile!

You don't NEED half the stuff we buy. Truth be told, I could load my ammo on a $100 LEE loader and it would be just as good. I shoot less than 10k rounds a year and have enough crap hanging off of my 650 to load that much on a cold Saturday afternoon.

To each there own, but you will never miss having a case pro.

But I did notice you didn't mention a bullet feeder in your list OP. Now that, is something you need! lolol :devil:

Hmmmm....wonder why 99% of the serious commercial reloaders DO roll size the brass before loading......

Some people say they don't need to roll size and choose to roll size.

I am good on powder, primers, bullets and brass for at least 2 years. Still have my 2x Case-pro and 3x Dillon presses.

And NO I am not affiliated to Case-pro in any way.....I pay for all my stuff.

This is my experience......I roll size every pistol case on my Case-pro 100 and then load...99% will chamber NO problem. It is good to know that The case base and rim are as close to OEM specs as possible.

Same here! Only I get it with a LEE die or sometimes a Udie for about $40 total! :cheers: If somebody gave me one, sure I would take it. But I would never pay so much for so little.

At some point most of us need to draw the line when it comes to $$$. I would rather spend close to $1000 on powder and primers to last me quite awhile!

You don't NEED half the stuff we buy. Truth be told, I could load my ammo on a $100 LEE loader and it would be just as good. I shoot less than 10k rounds a year and have enough crap hanging off of my 650 to load that much on a cold Saturday afternoon.

But I did notice you didn't mention a bullet feeder in your list OP. Now that, is something you need! lolol :devil:

Bullet feeder....I love it! But to be honest.....how good is a bullet feeder if you are placing the bullet on a case that has rim/base issues.......that's why roll sizing is SO good....it just takes care of what NO other form of sizing can, period.

But yeah, you choose how you process/reload your brass/ammo and how you spend/invest your hard earned money.

At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy is what really matters. :cheers:

How do you size the rim and base with a Standard or UD Lee die?

Really? A pissing contest over a friggin' case pro? About 99% of my brass gauges just fine. The other few that don't is because of the rim probably. But they shoot just fine in my guns too. So, I really don't know what to say other than to repeat, A case pro is not needed to make good ammo. I would imagine commercial reloaders use them because if a bad round slips by that won't chamber somebody will get on the internet and tell everybody their ammo is junk. At that point a pallet of case pros is a good investment.

And no, he doesn't need a bullet feeder either. Hence the lolol and the little devil emoticon. It's called good natured humor.

Unfortunately I can't argue any further with you on the subject. And, even funnier, I'm not allowed to say why I can't argue anymore. So if you want to continue to fire shots in this gun free zone, go for it.

Hmmmm....wonder why 99% of the serious commercial reloaders DO roll size the brass before loading......

Some people say they don't need to roll size and choose to roll size.

I am good on powder, primers, bullets and brass for at least 2 years. Still have my 2x Case-pro and 3x Dillon presses.

And NO I am not affiliated to Case-pro in any way.....I pay for all my stuff.

You only have 2 years of powder and primers. That's childs play. I probably have 5-6 years worth at least. Getting close to needing to order more.

My buddy got a CasePro after reading threads like the ones that got your attention. He uses it on .38 SuperComp every tenth reload, or fairly close, and really hasn't noticed a difference compared to the fifteen years prior to purchasing. He volunteered to do mine, so I let him, but I see no discernible difference from one to the other. My .02

And him

I am not arguing with anybody. We are discussing the topic. I think we have different opinion and that's OK if we discuss without crossing the line and always with respect.

Sorry if I said anything wrong and my apologies because it was never my intention to cause any issues. :blush:

Edited by Kaskillo

I think the big difference between using a casepro and not totally depends on where you get your brass. If you use range pickup, I think its better to roll size it. if you keep most of your brass in a closed loop and don't introduce outside unknowns then you probably will be fine.

fwiw, I casepro every pistol case I load. its worth it to me to have zero malfunctions...and the casepro is the 1st step in insuring zero malfs.

jmho...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

The only pistol I reload is 9mm on an XL 650 (and do not have a Case Pro). I have very few issues with all the brass I have had (from Starline to very grungy mixed range brass I picked out of the mud). I use Redding dies for 9mm and it sizes the case properly so that it fits my hundo case gauge (and Dillon and Lyman gauges too) and chamber in my guns fine. The problems I see on the rare occasion usually has nothing to do with sizing.

The Case Pro may be more necessary for manufacturers or possibly for other calibers (.40 for instance) but the cost is significant for the average reloader. I love to buy tools/gadgets/etc. to make my life easier/better/more efficient but I don't think a Case Pro is needed for the investment.

guess I should have added that I load 9mm minor and major, 40, and 45 pistol ammo. Yep, its a big investment. worth it? to me, yes. I could sell it right now for more than I have in it, but I am keeping it, because it is worth the time money and trouble.

jmho

jj

Would you reload without a Case-pro or any other roll sizer now?

No case gauge but checked rounds using the "barrel plunk" method?

Sure, I still load rounds that can't be base sized with my casepro machines and I don't have a case gauge for. However, I don't have any brass for the rifles and pistols for them that are range pickups.

The only pistol I reload is 9mm on an XL 650 (and do not have a Case Pro). I have very few issues with all the brass I have had (from Starline to very grungy mixed range brass I picked out of the mud). I use Redding dies for 9mm and it sizes the case properly so that it fits my hundo case gauge (and Dillon and Lyman gauges too) and chamber in my guns fine. The problems I see on the rare occasion usually has nothing to do with sizing.

Same here, except I use LEE and EGW dies on occasion now. All 9mm, All range pick up. Mostly from area matches that has been stepped on, ground into the sand mud and gravel. Left in 5 gallon buckets all summer. Cleaned and loaded in the winter. Absolutely no problems loading the brass over and over to 9MAJOR and minor. It just works. I also use the shockbottle gauge and it is pretty tight. I get about 4ish rejects per hundred. Those will gauge in my old Dillon gauge and they all chamber fine in my Open gun and XDM. But I still throw them in the practice bin just to be safe.