Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New G34 gen4 on the way...

Swanny10

And I would appreciate some input. It will be used primarily for IDPA/USPSA production. I currently have a 19 (gen4) with Warren sights and a Vogel trigger. I originally planned to swap these onto the 34. Does this seem like a good plan? What are some other things I should take into consideration?

I've been reloading 147 grain Falcoated bullets. I only have about 600 rounds left and am considering switching to Black bullets. I'm sitting on 8 lbs of Titegroup. I have been using CCI primers but would like to switch to Feds. But can't find any.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out and there are other questions I meant to ask but this should get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Good choiceSwanny10 on the 34 you can't go wrong with it.

My selfe I prefer the Dawson Precison adjustabel rear and the FB front they seem to improve the factory sight and my hits were mor accurate.

I heard of a lot of good things on Vogel trigger but I have ZEF I don't now if that will work for IDPA but another bad trigger.

Also I don't know if this will Intrest you but I use DP + 5 mag base they work great.

For bulets I have great results with 124 gr hollow point made by Delta precison, win 231 and V340.

Withe the TG powder you just need to be cureful with the charge not much margin between min and max loads

My local range shoots what they tongue in cheek call "IDPA-Lite". They hold one official classifier a year. The rest of the time the rules are "customized" because of some of the rules IDPA likes and they don't. I've shot there about a half dozen times. And then a couple of real small shoots a buddy of a buddy puts on.

asr1...thanks for the input. My choice of bullet stems from the affordability. I want to be able to practice plenty and shoot the same ammo in competition. Do you imagine there is a big difference in performance?

And I have the titegroup because...well...that's what I could get.

You are welcome Swanny10

I see we're you are coming from regards the saving which is very uderstandabel.

For me I saw the defrence in performance comparing Rainer and Berry bullets to the use of precision Delta in my pistol, it was day and night that's all what I could say.

Regards the TG nothing wrong with it, all what I advised above is to be carful when you are charging the cases and make sure you use the correct charge, go to Hodgdon web site and use the recomended data listed for the cartridge.

Be safe and have fun.

PM me your address I will send you few to try. Or you can order 100 from them just for testing they sell bag of 100.

They have the best prices much better than Than MG to me.

Me and couple of my friends we are about to place a big order.

G34 nice choice for production/ssp, my setup before switching to CZ was Heinie slant pro rear Dawson f/o front and the Glock worx production trigger 12/13 # recoil spring. i got caught up in swapping parts searching for the best trigger (waste of time and money), if you have a setup you already like get the same sights and trigger. definitely in a glock i would go with a 147gr bullet (xtreme plated, zero or bayou bullets) never had luck with black bullets in 147gr through multiple guns.

Love my G34gen4, been using it for SSP since they were released as gen4's. Gun has, and continues to see the brunt of my shooting. Replaced the sights, and recently changed the guide rod, and lowered the spring weight so I could run a slightly lower PF ammo.... and still be reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

asr1-

Thanks for offering. But I'm gonna go ahead and order a 100 and see how they shake out.

Becka and safeactionjackson-

I have seen numerous posts which mention "tuning the recoil spring" but I havent seen any details on the best way to do it. Just try different springs until you find a good fit?

asr1-

Thanks for offering. But I'm gonna go ahead and order a 100 and see how they shake out.

Becka and safeactionjackson-

I have seen numerous posts which mention "tuning the recoil spring" but I havent seen any details on the best way to do it. Just try different springs until you find a good fit?

Most of the posts I found when researching this recently recommended a 13lb recoil spring. Some recommended the 12 or 14 lb wolff springs and a few use the 11lb spring. I went with a Jaeger SS guide rod and the 13lb spring in my Gen4 G34, and I'm happy with it. I did also go to a 4.5lb striker spring. With the stock (5.5lb) striker spring and 13lb recoil spring, it was on the edge of "safe" based on the OOB test - no issues with the lighter striker spring.

Just for giggles, my gun has the stock trigger return spring, reduced power safety plunger spring, 4.5lb striker spring, polished gen3 trigger bar/FPS/"-" connector. Trigger pull weight is 3.25 - 3.5 lbs. Doesn't feel as nice during dry fire as the Zev kits I've fondled but when shooting at pace I do not notice the extra pre and over travel. I will probably move to a Johnny Glocks/DK/Zev trigger at some point, but it likely won't impact my times as I'm not competing at a high level anyway.

Edited by jhr1986

Spend the money on ammo and decent sights, shoot it like you stole it, and make friends with the gun you bought. After a few thousand rounds (which ain't as much as it sounds) you'll be in a much better position to think about changes you might want to make.

Spend the money on ammo and decent sights, shoot it like you stole it, and make friends with the gun you bought. After a few thousand rounds (which ain't as much as it sounds) you'll be in a much better position to think about changes you might want to make.

+1

Another question about my future g34...

I'm going with Dawson adjustable rear and FO front-.300 tall. I was hoping to use my comptac international slide holster that is currently home to my g19. Do I need to worry about the front sight hanging up on the draw stroke?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE-

So I've had my 34 for a while now. Made the switch to 135 BBIs today and had a chance to do some load development. I wound up with 3.5-3.59grains of TG (I was getting some variance depending on how hard I was pulling the lever) Averaged 1028 fps for a pf 138.7. Ended up with a COAL of ~ 1.121. Started around 1.14 but couldn't consistently pass the plunk test. They would all chamber and function fine but wouldn't slide out of the barrel easily. At the end of the day I bumped back up to1.13+ And they seemed to slide out okay which is where I will probably start next time.

Previously I was using 147 falcoated which were fine but I can get the BBIs a little cheaper and the BBI folks include shipping in the advertised price. Which is neither here nor there but since I figure bullet cost as what it costs to get each bullet to my door I find it appealing.

No smoking or foul odor that some people complain about with TG and coated bullets. Haven't had a chance to do any dedicated accuracy evaluation as of yet. But they appear to be in the "normal range" for me.

Thoughts?

I just picked up a Gen 4 Dawson Precision CRP G34 and haven't even shot it yet. Still have to develop a load and have a lot of research to do as I have several powders to choose from. I like the sights and they guarantee accuracy so it should all come down to the Indian and the ammo. Non-adjustable rear sight seems kind of lame on a "competition ready pistol". Came with the 4.5 lb trigger which I haven't tested on the trigger gauge yet. I'll probably start with a 25 cent polish and go from there. Enjoy the new gat!!

Edited by Lifeislarge