Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun free float rail for 3Gun; Evo, Keymod or MLOK

USASkeet shooter

I've been running the Samson evo on my rifles for several years. They are great. I haven't had a huge need to remove or add accessories. My sling swivel is always on. I guess a guy could add and remove rails for lights and lasers for the night matches and a bipod for open division. I get tired of switching rails and such so I just built different guns for every division/match. The one thing I really like is a top rail for my Dueck defense offset sights.

Hey Jesse, great to see ya chime in on this. Thank you!

Actually your contributions in the 3gun world and from seeing you pop up everywhere from blogs and youtube, to podcasts and facebook are some of the main reasons I have been considering the Samson evo rail. I can't think of anyone else who may have more experience of running one through the ringer as my only experience with them has just been what I have handled on the Stag 3G and what I have read. Do you notice any substantial movement or flex in the rail as one of the previous responses mentioned?

Would you go with the Keymod or MLOK over the standard evolution? The only things I plan on mounting on it for the time being is probably a sling mount, a bipod from time to time, a handstop of some sort/barricade brace(haven't decided on those yet), and maybe a ofset rail for a red dot down the line.

And of course the ofset irons for now. Which by the way, I saw a while back a picture you had posted of a setup with Griffin armament Offset Sights. I really liked the looks or functionality of that, specifically the front sight and was going to see if just the front sight was availible because I like that full circle hood over it.

Thank you again for all you do to support the growth of 3gun

Disclaimer- I'm sponsored by Samson, so I'm a little partial to their product.

I've used rail mounted irons out to 300 yards with no perceived POI shift on a couple of my Evos.

I have rifles w/ 15" Evos that I can grab the barrel and rail, squeeze them together, and there is movement. Most guys expect it's the rail flexing when they see this, but in fact it's the barrel flexing. Which is why we cover up the barrel with a long tube, to keep from accidentally resting the barrel on a prop and throwing off POI.

For a dedicated iron sighted rifle, I still prefer to mount the front sight to the barrel rather than the tube, but whatever tiny amount of movement may be present in the rail is insignifcant for any practical purpose.

The Evo has a benefit over many of the "small diameter" tubes in that you won't have to be so selective with gas block choices. Many of the small tube rails don't allow proper clearance for gas blocks.

Edited by Bryan 45

I've been running the Samson evo on my rifles for several years. They are great. I haven't had a huge need to remove or add accessories. My sling swivel is always on. I guess a guy could add and remove rails for lights and lasers for the night matches and a bipod for open division. I get tired of switching rails and such so I just built different guns for every division/match. The one thing I really like is a top rail for my Dueck defense offset sights.

Hey Jesse, great to see ya chime in on this. Thank you!

Actually your contributions in the 3gun world and from seeing you pop up everywhere from blogs and youtube, to podcasts and facebook are some of the main reasons I have been considering the Samson evo rail. I can't think of anyone else who may have more experience of running one through the ringer as my only experience with them has just been what I have handled on the Stag 3G and what I have read. Do you notice any substantial movement or flex in the rail as one of the previous responses mentioned?

Would you go with the Keymod or MLOK over the standard evolution? The only things I plan on mounting on it for the time being is probably a sling mount, a bipod from time to time, a handstop of some sort/barricade brace(haven't decided on those yet), and maybe a ofset rail for a red dot down the line.

And of course the ofset irons for now. Which by the way, I saw a while back a picture you had posted of a setup with Griffin armament Offset Sights. I really liked the looks or functionality of that, specifically the front sight and was going to see if just the front sight was availible because I like that full circle hood over it.

Thank you again for all you do to support the growth of 3gun

Disclaimer- I'm sponsored by Samson, so I'm a little partial to their product.

I've used rail mounted irons out to 300 yards with no perceived POI shift on a couple of my Evos.

I have rifles w/ 15" Evos that I can grab the barrel and rail, squeeze them together, and there is movement. Most guys expect it's the rail flexing when they see this, but in fact it's the barrel flexing. Which is why we cover up the barrel with a long tube, to keep from accidentally resting the barrel on a prop and throwing off POI.

For a dedicated iron sighted rifle, I still prefer to mount the front sight to the barrel rather than the tube, but whatever tiny amount of movement may be present in the rail is insignifcant for any practical purpose.

The Evo has a benefit over many of the "small diameter" tubes in that you won't have to be so selective with gas block choices. Many of the small tube rails don't allow proper clearance for gas blocks.

What he said ^^^^

I can't give any advice on the Keymod or MLok. I have a couple Key mod rails but have never Keymoded any accessories to them yet. No MLok in the arsenal yet either.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

In my case, it was not the barrel. If its the barrel that moves, then relationship between red dot and front sight post should not change, as neither is attached to the barrel.

I know it was the hanguard moving as the gap between the sides of barrel and handguard changed around 20 thousands of an inch after releasing the squeeze. With new handguard, squeezing the barrel and handguard does not change the gap between the 2 after the release, only during.

Barrel nut torque is same. 20 thou is not a lot, but enough for me to look elswhere.FWIW, there is no issue with RA Force clearing SLR.

I've ran the samson evo on a gun and i really like it. However i am going with the BCM KMR rail on this years rifle where i really want a lighter weight gun.

The BCM maybe great but I can't say that I've ever seen BCM as a match sponsor. I for one choose to support the companies that support us.

If you want light weight get a carbon fiber rails from AP Custom or Lancer.

I am trying to decide on a new forarm for my 3gun setup. I am currently using a Daniel Defense Ambush rifle that comes with a 12" MFR that I would like to sell and replace with something a bit longer and maybe more versitile for accesory mounting options without adding much more weight.

I have especially been looking at the Samson Mfg Evolution series 15" rails as is seems they are widely used in the 3gun community so they must be doing something right and they seem very comfortable.

I am looking for suggestions on wether I should go with the standard Evolution rail, or if the diversity of accessories offered for the Keymod or MLOK would be worth the added expense?

Also open to suggestions of other modular rails.

Thanks!

You certainly can't go wrong with anything from Samson.

If you wanted something a little lighter and cooler (won't get hot) look at what AP Customs USA has to offer.

http://apcustomusa.com/product/tactical-ultra-light-series-carbon-fiber-handguard/

I've ran the samson evo on a gun and i really like it. However i am going with the BCM KMR rail on this years rifle where i really want a lighter weight gun.

The BCM maybe great but I can't say that I've ever seen BCM as a match sponsor. I for one choose to support the companies that support us.

While BCM may not be a big supporter of 3-gun, they make great products, have great service and they are big supporters of the US Military, military veterans, and the NRA-ILA. Pretty important stuff in the bigger picture. :cheers:

Just for info; the BCM-KMR is lighter than the carbon rails if you include the mounting system (barrel nut, etc.) :surprise:

While BCM may not be a big supporter of 3-gun, they make great products, have great service and they are big supporters of the US Military, military veterans, and the NRA-ILA. Pretty important stuff in the bigger picture. :cheers:

Just for info; the BCM-KMR is lighter than the carbon rails if you include the mounting system (barrel nut, etc.) :surprise:

Those are great things that every firearm company should be doing. My hats off for to them for that. But only a small percentage of the industry supports 3-gun. Those companies that support us get my money 1st.

AP light weight carbon fiber hand guard with barrel nut, is the lightest, even compared to BCM KMR with same length. AP CF also isolates heat better and reasonably priced.

Aside from 3 gun support, AP also has excellent CS compared to BCM who does not even have CS representative to answer the phone which is ridiculous.

• 3 years later...

Keymod handguard system can be incredibly lightweight and allow for the direct attachment of any Keymod-compatible accessories and Mlok free float handguard has a straight opening that the attachment rails can be put into one open slot, or split between two slots to help make an attachment more secure.

Edited by breekarms