Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Original Rationale for no SA in SSP

RickT

I have switched to ESP with my new 9mm 1911s Makes no difference to me which Division I'm in; I'm never going to do more than shoot in club matches. I can certainly understand the list of allowable ESP enhancements that aren't allowed in SSP, but when the Divisions were created why were single action pistols explicitly excluded? Due to the potential for a better trigger?

You are correct, the people in charge believed that the single action guns would have an advantage based on the trigger. The truth is that with the technology currently available there is very little advantage to the triggers over say a properly tuned XD or M&P.

You are correct, the people in charge believed that the single action guns would have an advantage based on the trigger. The truth is that with the technology currently available there is very little advantage to the triggers over say a properly tuned XD or M&P.

This!

I installed an Apex kit on a friend's M&P last night, and the trigger is nearly as good as my CZs.

Old and outdated thinking especially when there are a bunch of modded sub 3 lb striker fired pistols out there nowadays.

What really bothers me is the whole hammer down vs sitting on halfcock thing.

• 2 weeks later...

In our club almost no one shoots ESP. My wife and I would just like some "company". The good thing about our club's steel matches is that one of the categories is Centerfire/Iron Sights which collects a whole bunch of folks.

No army or police department is buying anything but DA, DA/SA, or Glockoid sidearms for issue.

In 1996 they did not anticipate the decline of the DA/SA crunchenticker and the development of hair trigger actions for Glocks. Then there was a real difference between a service pistol and the obsolete single stack .38 Supers that originally populated ESP.

There is much less difference now. Gunsmithing techniques have blurred the data and made the term "stock" a travesty of the sport. Oh, wait, that is a FTDR. Shooting techniques have improved, too. Some say no difference but it depends on how you pick your data. Do you leave out the top shooters who can learn to run anything fast? If so, then there is a difference down here at low Expert and below.

• 3 weeks later...

They didn't really have to anticipate it, they should have just not allowed the changes in SSP that result in 2# triggers. IPSC has been enforcing Production rules that don't allow even an aftermarket recoil spring, and SSP should be treated the same way; STOCK service pistols.