Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for Major

Moussiaux

Just to clarify and verify I have the correct information/concept, when reloading for Major you are using more powder then the manuals recommend.

IE.

HS-6 states for 124gn 9mm bullet a starting load of 6gn and a max of 6.6gn yet I see people using 8.5gn to 9.2gn.

If this is correct what is stopping the presure from building up too much or is it rising past 32k.

Thanks

The seating depth of the bullet is a main factor along with barrel chamber. We load longer than SAAMI for some guns to make major. For example, I load my 40s out to 1.180" for using faster powders and keeping pressure down.

Welcome to the Forums. If you're just starting to load to major, and haven't started working up a load yourself, you need to go by the book and work from there. Lot's of good info here. Be safe.

Yeah, those numbers you saw are correct. I don't know if anyone has done a pressure barrel check to verify the pressure but Quick Load did show some high pressure. Nothing too significant but it was over SAAMI specs. However, given good brass and the proper OAL, the loads work well in supported chambers. I've shot over 30K 9Major rounds and not one issue with pressure with my pet loads (knock on wood). Some have well over 100K rounds and same result. Go slow and read the experiences of others before you venture into 9Major.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gng4life

Yes, we're all way off the reservation :ph34r:

Like others have mentioned, loading longer than the book suggests helps to mitigate increased pressure of going over the max charge weight, but most of us still shoot pressures well beyond the recommended max. I've noticed the slower the powder, the closer you get to major before exceeding the book loads. For instance VitaVuori lists a max 9x21 load for 3N38 with a 115gr at 1.16" which makes 171pf (this is actually the same result I get from the same load in a 9x19 case).

Just to clarify and verify I have the correct information/concept, when reloading for Major you are using more powder then the manuals recommend.

IE.

HS-6 states for 124gn 9mm bullet a starting load of 6gn and a max of 6.6gn yet I see people using 8.5gn to 9.2gn.

If this is correct what is stopping the presure from building up too much or is it rising past 32k.

Thanks

I have been shooting 9mm with 8.2gr of HS-6 with 124gr JHP bullet for a long time, and it is a nice, safe and soft shooting load.

• 2 weeks later...

While 7.8 is a reasonable starting point, I would start lower just to be on the safe side. More like 7.0 since that gives more room for error and growth. The 124 is a good weight, I tried the 115s for a while and went back to 124s. Some of my friends love them but it was just personal preference. Do you have holes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IE.

Thanks

I have been shooting 9mm with 8.2gr of HS-6 with 124gr JHP bullet for a long time, and it is a nice, safe and soft shooting load.

How full are your cases with that load? I picked up 16lbs from powder valley last week, looking forward to trying it

IE.

Thanks

Yes and sometimes a lot more.

I miss the days of 175 PF more V.

This is a little like racing, Chevy says to never turn the boost up. Well if ya wanna go fast your not listening