Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF vs faster powders

frankge

So,

Using what powders I have available, I came into 5lbs of WSF and 2Lbs of 231. Shooting an STI/Brazos Limited Gun up to this point with e3 and TiteGroup - have 2Lbs of that too. Without loading it (I will), what are the impressions of WSF compared to the faster powders. 180 Grain Xtreme plated and MG JHPs @ 1.180

Thanks!

I've been using some for 40 cal 180gr X-Treme. Compared to W231 you need a larger charge but I've not noticed any more / less smoke. I tried a few rounds using some moly coated bulelts other shooters close by reported seeing a big flash. I've only shot a few hundred rounds so can really comment for sure but it its seems to be pretty clean.

EDIT: I've not noticed any differnt recoil but I don't feel peas under the matress either so...

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I use 5.5 with extreme 180's at 1.35. Gets 171 our of my M&P pro. I've also used it with moly coated 9mm 147s and .40 180s. the molys were much faster with little to no smoke.

Edited by Woodsk

Like WSF for the 9mm, used it in the 40 (maybe like you: what I had an abundance of ) but prefer a faster powder.

I'm sold on WST and I've not had any reverse temp problems but I load to 172 PF and the most I've lost is 2 PF in a 60 degree swing.

Clays is good loaded long

I've used 4756 with jacketed and liked it, its slower burning like WSF.

also use Power Pistol for carry loads but it fire balls !!!!

I dislike the mixed bag also but powder is becoming more and more available

Good fortune finding a good load

I load 40's with E3 as well. I have 4lbs of E3 left, so I'm saving that for match ammo. I've been using WSF for my practice ammo. The recoil seems allot harder with the WSF for the same PF as E3. So practice with WSF, and matches with E3. The hard recoil of WSF makes the E3 rounds seem real soft.

Edited by ohsevenflhx