Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Constant FTE on SP-01

flyingchipmunk

So lately my SP-01 non Shadow has started getting tons of failures to eject. Around 1 or 2 percent failure rate at this point. The shell will extract but then gets jammed between the frame and the barrel as the gun goes back into battery.

I have a 15 lb recoil spring and a 13 lb mainspring and then gun probably has around 5k rounds on it with these springs. I took it apart a cleaned out the extractor and it did not make it any better, in fact possibly worse. I'm wondering if maybe i need to swap out the extractor spring and or recoil spring for fresh ones.

I added a pick of how the jam looks. http://imgur.com/EiOas46 (can't figure out how to compress pics to post normally ) This one jammed under the little tab above the barrel which it doesn't do all the time.

If anyone has seen this problem before and fixed it I'd love some advice since I'm at wits end. This gun ran like a champ when I first got it so all these malfunctions are driving me nuts.

I went with 15lb since I knew the factory one was too heavy and based on no research whatsoever went with 15lb because it was lighter but not too much lighter than factory. I just ordered an 11lb and 13lb as well as a new extractor spring so with luck that will sort everything out

Edited by flyingchipmunk

I went with 15lb since I knew the factory one was too heavy and based on no research whatsoever went with 15lb because it was lighter but not too much lighter than factory. I just ordered an 11lb and 13lb as well as a new extractor spring so with luck that will sort everything out

I thought the factory recoil spring on an SP01 was 14 lbs.

I run a 12 lb recoil spring and I typically make all of my 9mm ammo to around 130 to 135 PF with zero issues.

I would do as Stuart suggested and run a lighter recoil spring otherwise you will have run hotter ammo to overcome the heavier recoil spring.

I've got an 85b which has factory recoil spring that is 15#. 145 PF 124 gr sellier bellot ejects stupid far, like 8-12 ft. 130ish PF 115gr blazer barely makes it out, like 2 feet and I think attributed to my only malf. I really need to get a lighter recoil spring for the blazers.

I got the lighter recoil springs in today. I put the 11lb spring in and took it to the range. I shot a hundred rounds and in ran like a champ. The cases were consistently flying in a nice little arc and landing around 6 feet away whereas before they were just kind of dribbling out. I didn't try the 13lb spring but I probably will another time.

Thanks for all the help, especially Stuart

I got the lighter recoil springs in today. I put the 11lb spring in and took it to the range. I shot a hundred rounds and in ran like a champ. The cases were consistently flying in a nice little arc and landing around 6 feet away whereas before they were just kind of dribbling out. I didn't try the 13lb spring but I probably will another time.

Thanks for all the help, especially Stuart

I believe the rule of thumb for cz75/85/sp01s is that every 1# change in recoil spring weight changes ejection distance 1.5-2ft. Ideal ejection is 6-8ft so the 11 is probably good for the ammo you ran.