Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Critique

blairmckenzie1

anyone?

Okay here is my 2cents

Stage 1 - You needed to be in a better position to start with on your draw as you had to shift your body to get to the far right target of the 1st array. You took a step to the side and it caused you to step back into that position to hit that target. It also looks like you got lost on which target you shot or you were "looking" for your shots on target toward the last arrays.

Stage 2 - Looked okay, can't really see all of the targets so...

Stage 3 - Unless there was a specific stage description stating that you had to load your gun at the barrel?, you wasted a ton of time in that first position as you should have been loading while moving. As you are coming across to the far position, on the right, it looks like you got lost again on where you were heading and did a little shimmy in the middle of the stage. You need to know where you are going and get there!

Stage 4 - A little slow on the unloaded start, looked like you started looking down range before you had your gun ready and loaded. Also your reloads look a little slow as in if you are not in a hurry to load your gun. You need to pick up the pace a bit on your reloads.

Stage 5 - Looks like you need to work on your support hand/weak hand transitions and s/w shooting.

Overall not too bad. One thing that sticks out is your foot work and your lack of explosiveness, while not shooting, to get to other positions. Hope that helps, keep up the good work!

Edited by Prov1x

Time to turn the tables............... What do YOU see that needs improvement from your video?

If you can't watch the video and see the things that you are doing wrong, that is the number one thing you need to fix. If you can't observe, isolate, and understand what you are doing wrong then how on earth are you going to fix what you are doing wrong?

Someone spoon feeding you suggestions to fix issues isn't going to be very effective if you can't see the issues yourself in the first place.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Time to turn the tables............... What do YOU see that needs improvement from your video?

If you can't watch the video and see the things that you are doing wrong, that is the number one thing you need to fix. If you can't observe, isolate, and understand what you are doing wrong then how on earth are you going to fix what you are doing wrong?

Someone spoon feeding you suggestions to fix issues isn't going to be very effective if you can't see the issues yourself in the first place.

Heres what I see/remember:

Stage 1: I went with the thought that if I engaged the lowest target 1st it would be faster to "ride" the recoil up to the target above it. Looking back now it made for another transition that required a lean backwards. I think I need to spend a bit more time "programming" the stage. This was the 1st stage of the match and I should have taken more time to walk it and get a plan set in my head. The hesitation you see is me being unsure if I engaged a target or not.

Stage 2: I had a few make up shots on the stacked targets. I don't like shooting stacked targets that don't have some sort of not scoring border, I have a hard time telling which target I'm hitting if I get going too fast.

Stage 3: I was nervous about backing up and loading and breaking the 180. I practiced table starts today and found that the fastest I could get the gun loaded and get a shot off was about 2.25 seconds. I guess thats about how much time I lost standing and loading. Just something I need to practice more so I can feel comfortable doing it in a match without breaking the 180. The hesitation in the middle was just brain fade, again need to spend more time walking stages.

Stage 4: The first array on this stage killed me. It was 2 metrics and 2 mini poppers at about 20yrds. I screwed up the order and had a bunch of misses on steel. Again I see some hesitation in my shooting from not walking the stages good enough. This was a bit of a memory stage.

Stage 5: Just need to practice more here. New gun, haven't shot it weak hand enough. I think this is one thing that dry fire will help a bunch.

Cha-Lee am I missing anything? I do watch my match videos a lot, just looking for any fresh opinions.

Thanks

Blair

Blair> From your self assessment it sounds like you are putting effort into observing what you are doing to look for areas to improve. That is good!!! You have successfully identified several skills that need improvement that will improve your match performance once fixed. Build a training plan around fixing what you have already identified. After watching your video, to me, the number one glaring issue is the lack of burning in your stage plan so you can execute the plan without hesitation. If you can't perform your stage plan effectively due to a programming error, it does not matter how good your other skills are.

Others in this thread have already pointed out several more opportunities for improvement as well. The way I see it you already have MONTHS of practice and training worth of suggestions given in this thread. Now its time to get the hard work done to fix the issues.

Blair, if you are afraid of breaking the 180 while loading going to your left, or even backing up, try these two suggestions.

1. Flatten your gun out with the muzzle almost directly downrange, as if the gun was lying flat on a table, and inserting the mag and load it as you begin to move. Your mag change/unloaded start should be completed within the first 1-2 steps anyways, then rotate your hand over (palm down) and run to your position with the muzzle pointing downrange.

2. Just pick up your gun - start mag and run to the 1st shooting position and then load and charge the gun. That will also go for retreating courses of fire when you have to mag change. Drop your mag from the front position and rotate the muzzle down and behind you while running up range to the next shooting position. Then as you turn into the shooting position, reload the gun and start shooting.

"Stage 2: ..... I have a hard time telling which target I'm hitting when I get going too fast ..."

So exactly what are you looking at when you break a shot to determine it was good and you can either take the 2nd shot or transiton to the next target?

you can only shoot as fast as you can see ...

"Stage 2: ..... I have a hard time telling which target I'm hitting when I get going too fast ..."

So exactly what are you looking at when you break a shot to determine it was good and you can either take the 2nd shot or transiton to the next target?

you can only shoot as fast as you can see ...

I'm looking at the dot. its just hard when there is no definition between one target and another.

You need to practice reloads to the point where you don't need to look down to find the magazine. Keep the gun higher and quick peek to load it into the gun. It'll help you move as you reload and more importantly you won't have the opportunity to lose your spacial relationship to the targets and the 180. Overall not bad though.

Edited by mgardner

another thing costing time is too many make up shots. there was a few targets with 3 shots at them. in stage 2 in the first array of 4 targets you took 3 shots at 2 of them. and the 2nd last array had a 3 shot target too. I know you are having trouble calling shots with the dot so hopefully with some practice that will go away. it can become a bad habit though. I know it was for me. I'd often just sling 3 and this and 3 at that. resulting in slow times. you need to see just exactly what is needed to break 2 good shots and move on.

In stage one where you moved right first to engage the left side array of stacked targets bottom up was ok idea apart from the moving right part. you should have been able to shoot all 3 targets from the start position without breaking 180. I agree going bottom up on stacked arrays is a good thing. and for me recoil has nothing to do with that, it's purely that going bottom up I can see the next target clearly. going top down means my gun/hands are obscuring the lower target. for fast transitions your eyes need to get their first and your gun follow. can't do that if I can't see the target till the gun moves.

in this case though there is also an argument for starting in a position to draw and shoot the right high target first then shoot the 2 left targets as you start moving to the right to exit that position so you're not caught flat footed standing and shooting. despite my bottom up rule this is probably the way I'd have started that stage as you can start moving your body towards where you want to go while shooting the stacked array (obviously need to watch for 180 doing that). The rest of that stage you moved and shot pretty nicely apart from the brain fade in the middle.

I think the big thing as you've pointed out yourself is stage planning and really burning in that plan. :)

otherwise, great looking gun and great shooting. :) also your flip and catch at the end was excellent. 10 points. :)

• 3 weeks later...

When you did the week hand only string, which eye where you aiming with? (It apears that you used you right eye for everything but that string) I've found that I shoot better by lining it up with my dominant eye regardless of the hand being used.