Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 holster for IDPA

Clay1

I called Safariland today to ask about a holster for my G34. They gave me a man named Tom who recomended the 5182 paddle over the belt model and said that it had more support for the gun. He said that Latham was shooting this holsters.

I see the Brian Enos' safariland sales page has this info:

Safariland designed the Model 5183 Holster with the IDPA shooter in mind. It's lightweight and compact, and it's excellent price make it a favorite for IDPA competition, (and it's currently legal).

As with the Model 560, you have your choice between the Model 5182 Paddle Holster (currently not legal for IDPA), pictured, or the Model 5183 Belt-loop style holster.

So is the 5182 legal or isn't it as far as the light in the belt loop goes with a Wilderness Comp Instructors belt?

Any better ideas for my G34?

Last year the number one holster at the nationals was the Comp-Tac locking paddle. Oh, by the way - it's illegal this year. Take the most popular holster at the nationals and make it illegal. I won't go off again. I'll stop here. Just tell me what to spend my money on this year. Thanks guys

Brandon - Yup. Paddles have a bad rep due to knuckleheads deciding they don't need a belt because they have a paddle holster. In this situation, the holster often comes out with the gun during the draw. Modern paddle holsters have bumps of some kind on the paddle that hook under the belt, securing it in your pants. I've got Comp-Tac, Fobus and Wild Bill's Concealment paddle holsters and they're all secure.

The *1911* version of the 5182 is marginal at best as far as the rules go. I have one that is a few years old and it looks like it could fail in 2 areas. The holster sets the boltface a just about the center of a 1.5" belt. A 1.75" would probably work but the front cutout to the bolt face of SA single stack is about 0.010" too deep. I had mentioned this to Brian after the new rules came out. Great holster, no longer IDPA legal.

Chuck, thanks for the heads up and the good info. I found the one that I needed for my G34 for $40. I thought it was too good to be true.

Glock2234, thanks for the direction. The 34 was the most shot single weapons at the nationals and the comp-tac locking paddle was the most used holster. They outlawed the number one holster. All of the many people shooting G34s have to have some more ideas. I almost thought about the Wilson practical. If it was the best holster made I would wear it if you paid me. I had a perfectly good holster - I have to let this go one of these days. For the rest of this thread I won't mention anything at all negative. It helps me stay in line if I type it out.

So there are a ton of you G34 shooters who use to shoot Comp-Tac, what are you going to shoot now?

ChuckS - I've got a 5183 for my Gubmint Model. The only difference between the 5182 and 5183 is the means of attachment. Mine puts the boltface/breechface above the top of the belt. I believe you can buy the belt adapter for yours, if you want to keep using it.

Revchuck,

Thanks for the tip. I really like the way that this holster sits. Too bad. I also have a Galco Concealable that I use which is more "TC" (Tactically Correct). funny thing, I would use it for carry with a reasonable over-garment. But can't use it for the game. Oh well. Besides, lately, I have just been shooting USPSA Open, which is a real hoot and completely not TC. I'll probably get back to shooting the single stack later this year but who knows when.

Take Care,

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Any one have other ideas for the Glock 34/35? I was using a kydex type for my 35... wonder if I heat the loops for the belt and give it less room will that make it now leagal????

Take a look at the Blackhawk CQC holster. Catalog # 415500BK-R. This holster uses belt loops. It also comes with a paddle attachment. They sent me one to try the other day. It is a well made holster and 100% IDPA legal. Belt slots are adjustable for belt width.

This year I'm spending the money it would cost me to replace my Comp Tac Gear on USPSA matches. :D

Take care, Craig

BTW My IDPA club decided that the holster/mag pouch rules weren't worth enforcing. So I guess were going renegade.

I had a blackhawk rep come over and we tried the CQC within the last couple of weeks.

Two problems - they don't make one for the G34/35. If you try to use the G17 model and let the barrel come out of the hole at the bottom, high style front sights will get caught. It was unusable with my G34 with a Dawson FO front. It will work with my other G34 with low profile night sights.

Nice holster though and the one without the Serpa (trigger lock) is the only way to go for competition. The carbon fiber looks great and the holster is fast. Too bad that they don't make a G34 holster.

My other concern was that even though they use the belt loops the belt system stands off from the holster and leave a gap between the holster and the belt system. Are you sure it is IDPA legal? That is a question - I really don't know.

Joe, I just didn't know how the rules would be applied with the belt attachment as one piece seperated from the holster and them the holster as a second piece. I actually find the holster fast and nice looking. the option of belt or paddle is sweet too.

Duck of Death, the Safariland 5182 paddle is what Rob Leatham is using at this time and looks to be a good holster at a good price - if you shop around $40. John Campbell of Safariland told me that the paddle was more stable than the belt holster. I find that different than what I would have first imagined. It is nice to know that the paddle is stable. Anyone see any problems with the 5182 making the IDPA light in the belt channel rule? Thanks guys

Clay,

Be careful with the light in the belt tunnel and any advice you may get concerning any one particular holster. So much depends on belt thickness, clothing, angle of observation, specific holster design etc. Make sure you account for these factors when you are evaluating opinions.

Take care, Craig

Craig, do you have some info that you would like to share now instead of after the fact that I might very well appreciate? could use some help bud, especially if you think differently. I thought that most paddles wouldn't make it. What do you think?

No sorry for any kind of indication I was holding back info.

My personal feeling is that a paddle by its very design is going to have light in the belt tunnel. There is really no way around it unless the paddle is mounted completely flush with the pouch. That is what prompted me to caution you on getting info from someone saying that a given paddle is "lightless". IF and in my mind that is a big IF, there is a paddle design that eliminates light, I would think that the belt width etc. would be key components in maintaining its legality.

My own decision is to discontinue shooting IDPA sanctioned matches altogether. I felt that it was a ridiculous decision to force people to replace $40-$75 dollars worth of holster based on this light issue when the 3/4" rule adequately covered gun placement.

Anyway, good luck on picking something that works for you. Craig

Craig, I have been very vocal on the "light in the belt channel" to the point of being a pain in the rear to many. I bought a holster and two mag pouches 8 days before the 1st new rules were introduced. I spent $85 and never even shot the weapon with the equipment and all of it was made illegal. Was I PO'd - YOU BET!

Clay,

I am in 100% agreement with you on the Light issues. So much so in fact, IDPA will never see another dollar of mine. I am an officer at my club and do quite a bit to get new shooters to come out. It is never easy when you talk to someone and they balk at having to buy a holster and a couple of extra mags but to have the easiest solution yanked out from under us (uncle mikes) was a travesty. Not to mention people like us who need to replace equipment. Anyway I figure for the $350 it would take to replace my thre IDPA rigs I would just buy more reloading components for my open gun ;)

Take care, Craig

I spent $85 and never even shot the weapon with the equipment and all of it was made illegal. Was I PO'd - YOU BET! ---Clay1

Clay1,

You must be one of those internet whiners that Ken H. was talking about.:)

Why I bet you didn't even know that the IDPA was in such a bad way that it needed a drastic over hall.

H*ll, you probably even have a use for the 45 GAP!

Respectfully,

John

It's past midnight local time; this whiner just returned from an IDPA shoot 80+ miles away (one way). Yes, I am definately one of those whiners that people are talking about. No I am not whinning over a single $17 holster. I lost $85 yes, but there are many who lost a whole lot more than I did not only in rigging but weapons that are now over weight for SSP or the poor wheelgun shooters that make up a whole 10% of the shooters anyhow and now that 10% is in two divisions over moon clips, but they let guys in with 8 shot guns???? Move clips where too much of an advantage but two extra rounds - 33% increase in ammo isn't that big of a deal???? OK, I'll at least quit whining about wheel guns because I don't shoot one in competition.

I'll be out of bed in less than 6 hours so I can drive another hour and a half to shoot a USPSA shoot in the morning. Strange thing, I haven't been whining much there. I am still shooting IDPA, and I am still looking for a holster and unmodified mag pouches. The only thing to whine about tonight is that I am tired and I'm off to bed. Whiners of the world - get some sleep and shoot USPSA along with some IDPA. :rolleyes: