Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg MVP or Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308

afish4570

While I don't know what rifle sports he is talking thinking about, in a word NO. OK, well... he might do OK shooting running target in Europe with a red dot.... Neither rifles are known for accuracy and a 16" barrel, while handy, is not optimum for a .308 in a competition rifle.

If he is bound and determined to get a 16" factory 308, Remington makes one with a threaded barrel, replace the Hogue stock with something solid and "bam"

• 4 weeks later...

I have an MVP. I went that way because it accepted my M1A mags. So far, it's a real shooter, just not a very good hitter. I didn't expect sub MOA, but was hoping for sub paper plate. I've got a few tweaks to do to it and will get back to you on it. Honestly, it is exactly what I wanted, but still need to get it to perform how I want. I would still buy it over the Ruger, not only because of the Magazines, but because I am not a big fan of the forward mounted optics, or at least the options available in forward mounted optics. With the 1x6 stuff available, I see no need for a scope way out front.

wg

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I felt I needed to update my progress with the MVP. Mine has the 20", fluted, sporter contour barrel.

I removed the stock scope mounts and replaced it with an EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail. Glass is a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP on Warne low base mounts.

I Glass bedded the recoil lug ONLY. (I'd never don this before, was very easy to do).

I stuck a Caldwell Bi-pod on the front of it.

I fired a few and cleaned, fired a few and cleaned. I use Shooters Choice and Barnes CR-10 Bore cleaner.

Using Hornady Steel match 155's, I am getting first round hits out past 500 yards. Yesterday, I was hitting 8x10" and 12x12" steel from up to 669 yards, prone. Sitting I was able to make hits out at 500 yards on my larger 16x20" "cowboy" silhouette target I made.

I am not a rifle shooter dude. I am just learning on my own. A good range finder, dope sheet and a Kestrel go a long way. I am also convinced that shooting groups with my pistols has really helped in my rifle shooting.

I have learned a ton from this little rifle, and it really is a joy to shoot. I did share a cool iphone picture on the Mossberg Facebook page that seems to be circling the globe at this time. Not sure if I like that part. Haha.

Regards,

WG