Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Capacity Question

nhglyn

OK, now I'm puzzled.

I have STI 170 mm mag bodies and Limcat +1 basepads (Grams followers and springs) and I can only get 26+1 in the gun (38 Super). I have read on STI website (http://www.stiguns.com/cart/aboutmags.html) that I should be getting 28+1.

Only way I can get 28+1 is to add the +3 basepad to the 170 mm, which then makes it 175 mm and illegal. What am I doing wrong here?

I have a 9x23 and 9mm and can get 29 +1

One mag is tuned by Beven and has the old style follower/spring with a 4mm Grams pad..the other is untuned but runs the Grams new follower/spring with a Dawson +1 pad..

I have another shorter bigstick at Beven's now and will let you know what he does and what I get..when it returns...

nhgyln, if you are using standard 38 super (not super comp) you will get at least 1 less round than the rimless varaitions. if you have a true 170 mm mag tube and either a dawson +1 or bevins mag pad then you shoud easily get 28 of any of the rimless. usually you can get 29 out of an sv tube and some sti tubes, but the sti will be tight on the last couple. check to see if the spring is longer than the other ones ( if you have another) a coil or two could cause it to hold less. also when everything is new you sometimes have to bump the mag against your palm to settle the rounds down and then put in the last 2. good shooting, j.l. hardy

Check the outside dimension of the tube the width should be 0.940 to 0.950. If it is not the rounds may be binding in the tube. If it's a new tube and you can't figure it out return it and get another one.

On another note be careful putting a 4mm pad on an SV mag. Most of the SV tubes are longer than the STI's and the 4mm will be too long in almost every case. I have seen several people bragging on their SV that would hold 29-30 rounds and when measured did not fit the gauge.

Ok guys, the straight scoop. 29 rounds is obtainable with the right parts and a good tube. As Bob pointed out, size of the tube does matter. 29 rounds, (useable and reliable) is a fuction of the tube having the right internal dimentions, and taking advangage of the USPSA mag length gauge at 171.25mm. Most long mags will be too long with my 4mm base pad attached. It is designed to be used when the OAL of the mag will be checked for length and then the tube is modified to fit the gauge. Some tubes (SV mostly) are way too long, and can not be cut down far enough, so my 2.5mm base pads are in order. If you guys don't have a guage, don't just asume that your mags will be legal.

Using 38 supercomp (rimless 38 or 9 x whatever) does make a difference, as JL pointed out. Standard 38 super will work better if you keep a short OAL, (1.225, +/- .005).

Ah ha! Gotcha. I will have to load some rounds shorter and see how they stack in the mags. Too bad I don't have x-ray vision!

Right now I get 27 reliable rounds in my 170. 28 will fit but it won't reliably strip the next round and generally jams the pistol. This is the same no matter whose mag guts I have in there.

Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...