Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chicago Jan-Feb. What to do.

I am stuck going to Chicago from Jan the 11th until Feb the 7th for school.

I'll be occupied at Jackson Park Hospital from 8-4 Mon-Fri.

What do I need to do, see, eat, experience, shoot (if there are any matches in the frigid cold) that can be done in my free time?

I defer to the BEnos users for advice to make my time spent there memorable.

Best thing to do in Chicago? Leave Chicago. Sorry, just the bitter opinion of one of the peasants in the wastelands, always trapped under the long dark political shadow cast by our ruling city.

That's why I said stuck there, I had no choice in the matter. I've been there before many years ago and never wanted to go back. Such is life.

Are you bringing your shooting equipment with you? If so, Pine Tree Pistol Club in Rockford has a 3 stage indoor USPA indoor match every Thursday at 6 pm and on the first Sunday of the month they have a 6 stage match with a classifier. The range is about 1 hour fifty minutes northwest of downtown Chicago. It's a bit of a drive but I have been doing a similar drive from the north suburbs to get to the matches.

There is also a Wednesday night 4 stage indoor match at the On Target range in Crystal Lake.

There are also the usual things like the Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planitarium and the Art Institute.

Lots of good restaurants and bars that feature live music.

I grew up in Chicago and spent a lot of my free hours downtown but I now prefer the country life. I think a month will give you enough time to enjoy Chicago without getting bored.

Like Zoomy said, there is a ton of stuff to do in Chicago but not much that's shooting related. I actually end up in Northwest Indiana for matches, ranges, etc... as it's close and relatively hassle free and inexpensive compared to Illinois. If you have a car then you have options, however, without one then there's essentially zilch that's shooting related in the city.

The ones insulting Chicago should stay home. I agree. But sir, Chicago is great and very safe downtown. I just stayed at the Silversmith. Great food, great staff, and rooms are really something special. Great rates. If you are flying into Midway or O'hare take the subway. It will drop you off within 2 blocks of everything. Wear warm clothes and walk everywhere of take subway. I am a country boy, but I love going to Chicago.

Chicago is an awesome place if you can look past the politics that run this state... I went to school at UIC, lots of fun stuff to do downtown, but I'm going to lie... 75th and Stony Island is a pretty crappy part of town. I wouldn't say its horrible, but you are a couple miles away from the worst parts of Chicago.

Pine Tree Pistol Club in Rockford and Alpha Range in McHenry are your two places to shoot in the winter. Not sure how your work schedule is but being in the far South Side of Chicago, you'll have a few hours of driving to get to either place. Alpha shoots on Wednesday nights 1st, 3rd, and 5th weeks of the month and some Saturday matches. Pine Tree shoots 1st Sunday of the month and every Thursday night.

As far as what to see... depends what you like to do... go the Sears (Willis) Tower, John Hannock Building for sure... Navy Pier is pretty cool although limited to what there is to do in the winter months. Chicago Bulls/Blackhawks games if you like sports. The museums that Zoomy listed are pretty good if you are into that kind of stuff. Museum of Science and Industry is pretty cool. Brookfield zoo.

All kinds of places for night life, Rush and Division, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, lots more...

Thank you guys for all of the advice on things to do and see. I had planned on bring my gear up but now I am not so sure about it seeing as I will not be bringing a vehicle up. If anyone else has any more things I would greatly appreciate it.