Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand cycling rounds

Ronnie j

I had a few mag induced malfuctions with my SV .40 , so I cleaned all the mags . My question is that now they will all slowly hand cycle rounds smoothly. How reliable of an indicator is that to whether or not these will run? Ideally I'll get to the range a few times before my next match, but if I don't , , , , , the fact that they feed rounds slowly by hand is a good indicator right?

I had some trouble with after market Para mags. Took them home and worked on them until they worked OK when I worked the slide by hand but when I went back to the range they still screwed up.

I hope your luck is better but I'd sure try them out before a match.

If you pay attention, slow hand cycling will tell you a lot about your magazine feedlips and barrel ramp. As a final test I will cycle the slide FAST, WITH ONE BIG CAUTION: REMOVE THE FIRING PIN! I put an over size FP stop to hold the extractor then hand cycle fast. If every thing feeds and ejects, your good to go. Live fire to confirm. This has worked 100% for me. I always do this prior to the beginning of season to check my mags and general feed condition of my pistols.

I always do this with dummy rounds so why remove the firing pin? Well s*** happens - I just don't want it to happen to me when avoidable.

Hand cycling won't tell you much except maybe if the rounds are centered on the feed ramp. If you can thumb each round out while holding the magazine out of the gun and you don't feel anything binding you are usually in good shape. You should not feel large variations in pressure as you get to the bottom of the magazine. The pressure should gradually reduce as you feed through the bullets.

Thanks for input guys , I'm just trying to gauge my work before I get to the range . I hate working on my gun at the range , have to pay for range time, so I try to do everything I can at home. They hand cycle fine and thumb out of the mag and feed up with little resistance, so I think I'm on the right track.

Hell Mark I went a year without cleaning , until they quit running , you know how I feel about some crap that don't work.

Loves2shoot, the 2 least troublesome have the new follower/ spring it is as they say the "shiznit"

I had a few mag induced malfuctions with my SV .40 , so I cleaned all the mags . My question is that now they will all slowly hand cycle rounds smoothly. How reliable of an indicator is that to whether or not these will run?  , , , , ,  the fact that they feed rounds slowly by hand is a good indicator right?

Yes. I think that is the real worst case test, because live firing will give a lot more inertia to the slide and "slam by" any hesitations in feeding that you can pick up when slow cycling. Of course, actual firing is the final test.

Just be careful if you hand cycle live ammo.

In the past I found that hand-cycling can show you good info about your ammo's OAL and how well it works in your gun & mags. Just don't use live ammo combined with a live firing pin. Buy a stock pin & break off the front .5" if you have to.

If you've ever had a really fussy gun like a Tanfoglio 40, you can diagnose whether your bullets are striking the feedramp too early with the case still held firm by the magazine's feed lips. That means OAL too long. Might show you that one mag is a dog compared to your other mags.

And so on. I removed my recoil spring, cap, and guide rod too.