Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dry Fire Range Improvement

Smitty79

I've been trying to get more flexibility in my dry fire set up. I had been using 2/3 scale targets stapled to the dry wall in my garage. It's 20 ft from the back to front wall in the garage so standing at a little less than 15 ft from 2/3 scale target is 7 yd equivalent. I had been using no shoots taped over parts of targets or just going for head shots to shoot tighter targets.

Today I went out and bought 4 yds of 6 ft wide green felt and stapled it to the wall. I then put "stickies" designed to mount things on cloth walls on the back of targets. Here are the stickies I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IF77/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up many different targets from Ben Stoeger and now I can set up almost anything.

Here it is with a standard practice set up.

StandardSetup_zps71d67392.jpg

Here is a set up for Accelerator. 2/3 is 7 yd, 1/3 is 15 yd and 1/6 is 25 yd.

Accelerator_zps590858c2.jpg

You can see my extra targets off to the right.

If you get out a box cutter and some card board and you could set up every Steel Challenge stage.

Edited by Smitty79

Having used this for a week, don't use too many of the sticky squares on the targets. I started with 5 on a 2/3 scale target. I think 2 is enough. As soon as Amazon delivers my next batch, I'm going to try 3 on a full size metric target.

If I did it again, I'd use grey felt. Most of the places I compete at have grey gravel on the berms.

Edited by Smitty79