Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best recoil springs for STI Edge 5"

jhugh4

Hey everyone,

I've read a lot of great suggestions for recoil spring weight. Sounds like a lot of you lean towards a 12lb. What brand/company offers the best recoil springs? And would you change the main spring housing spring from the factory spring?

Thanks for any input.

I think the wolf are to strong for what they say. I tried a 10lb and it felt like a 15lb. Ismi is what I use and won't change I mostly use a 11lb but sometimes use a 10lb. Camerons custom .40 is my pistol.

For the mainspring I switch to a 15lb but always use fed or Winchester primers I think cci are way to hard for a 15lb possibly get light hits.

Edited by Noah my boy

I strongly suggest to others to get a spring weight tester so you know the actual spring weight not what is printed on package.

Wolff seems to be more accurate to advertised weights.

I use a Wolff variable 11#.

I like light mainsprings. ISMI

15# with Dawson extended firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Scott Steele

As far as the weight, remember other things effect it too. Main spring weight, weight of slide, recoil guide type {recoilmaster?}, geometry of hammer and radius of firing pin stop are the most talked about.

As far as the weight, remember other things effect it too. Main spring weight, weight of slide, recoil guide type {recoilmaster?}, geometry of hammer and radius of firing pin stop are the most talked about.

Recoil spring weight is recoil spring weight. Take it out of gun and test measure it.

Other items may affect the feel but the recoil spring weight doesn't know that.

FYI, if I remember correctly, ISMI recoil springs tested about 2 or 3 pounds lighter than stated on package.

That was several years ago and settled on Wolff because I found them to be true to advertised weight.

Use a timer and hits to tell you what works best. It's all about sight recovery.