Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with COL and setting powder

phecksel

Wife is complaining the latest 115gr bullets are too snappy for her XDM, and yet are ok for her XDs. Doesn't make sense to me, but gotta keep momma happy.

Bullets, Xtreme plated 115 RN.

Initial Load, 5.2 gr CFEP, COL 1.100 avg Vel = 1171... touch faster than I expected

Latest Hodgdon magazine and online.

4.9; 1124; Col 1.100; 5.4; 1209

1.100 sounds exceptionally "short" to me

I can reduce to the minimum load of 4.9, will that make that much of a difference to her? Unrelated issue, until I get my Chrony fixed, I won't be able to verify velocity. Biggest thing I have to watch out for, the XDs does not like wimpy loads. It wants hotter loads.

Should I increase the length to 1.12?

These would be practice only rounds, for all our 9mm's.

115-grains is not that great of a bullet weight for a PROD gun for the reason you mentioned. snappy!!! It is recommended that you use heavier bullets like 147 grains to tame the gun's behaviour.

Edited by NogNog

Move to a heavier bullet. At least 124 grain. She will be amazed and happy with the softness. If you are stuck with a ton of 115's then put a lighter recoil spring in the XD and drop to the minimum loads.

I have 126gr SWCFP lead bullets I've been playing with and wanted to use for competition. Also have xtreme 147 RN, but running into problems getting a consistent bullet set. Probably have 1,000 115gr.

What about that 1.100 length? Isn't that too short?

I have 126gr SWCFP lead bullets I've been playing with and wanted to use for competition. Also have xtreme 147 RN, but running into problems getting a consistent bullet set. Probably have 1,000 115gr.

That's what I thought when I read your first post. Most (if not all) of my loads I use 1.150

One of the hurdles to new reloaders is OAL questions. Oal depends on individual guns and individual chambers. 1.10 is short but not really too short. It depends on the bullet profile and chamber length.

That's what I thought when I read your first post. Most (if not all) of my loads I use 1.150

It's what the book says!

I loaded up 20 rnds with 4.9 and 1.115. Wildcard is the XDs, it likes hotter rounds. Since I can't chrony for awhile, will just have to go with it.

The OAL seems ok. Mine are loaded at 1.155 regardless of bullet wt.

I assume we're talking full size pistols here. If so the XDm having a longer barrel will have greater velocity. So it will feel snappier than the shorter XD.

I used to shoot 125's but went to 147's to be able to load down with a lighter recoil spring.

Since these are target rounds, Sarge had good advice. Just load them down and shoot 'em up.

With new "Light" loads shoot one at a time to make sure they cycle and don't squib. And yes it can happen!!

It's what the book says!

I loaded up 20 rnds with 4.9 and 1.115. Wildcard is the XDs, it likes hotter rounds. Since I can't chrony for awhile, will just have to go with it.

The book OAL is meaningless, just a data point for their specific barrel/projectile.

Find out your own Max OAL for your barrel/projectile combos: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131