Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Accurate are 625's?

twix

Twix, I believe the 625 can be accurate at 50 yards. But finding a happy medium for zero might take some doing. The heavier bullet in the 45 has more pronounced trajectory. Angus Hobdell might be able to answer your question better. In 2001 he shot the IRC and took limited. He shot a 625 and did well on the NEAR AND FAR STANDARDS. That stage involved shooting at 50 yards at a Bianchi target. Maybe he will chime in.

Tom,

Although I don't own a 625, here's what I can tell about the 45 ACP and Bianchi. Where you will suffer is on the Mover. If you shoot factory 230 ball ammo, your lead point at 25 yds will be off the paper. If you shoot with lower PF ammo like rules allow (120), you're lead would be unmanageable.

However, if you're only going to be shooting the local monthly matches just for fun and skill building, I think you'd be okay with a 625.

Dave

The anwer is VERY.

But there is a twist mentioned here.

At 25 yards mine shoots about 3/4" with 230g FMJ reloads.

But at 50 Yards it drop about 6 to 8" with the sort of load you would want to shoot at Bianchi.

There fore you would have use lighter faster and more recoiling ammo to stay point of aim at 50

My opnion go buy a 38 Special

I have a 686 S&W that I bought at a gun how for $300.00 shoots better then me

<_<

twix,

Are you buying it mostly for NRA? Or are you just going to shoot that too...since you have it?

Thinking of guns that I'd like to have in the stable...that is kinda like thinking about what bottles to stock a liqueur cabinet with. There will be some bottles in the cabinet that I just don't drink...but, they gotta be there.

A 625 is in the gotta be there category.

(Imagine how much fun you could have with it shooting the Ohio State Match. :) )

S&W has really reduced their offering this year. The 610 has been discontinued. I believe that the 625 is only available in 4". They did come out with a 625 JM model which is very sweet.

My 625 was extremely accurate at 25 yards. You have to play with the load to get accuracy at 50 yards.

Thanks again for the replies, now you have given me more things to think about.

Flex, I'm not adding to the stash. I'm trying to find something to shoot this year, and yes revo at the BEBlast is a consideration.

Thanks Angus. I was already confused enough. :)

Jeff B and Jim B persuaded me to help them with an ICORE match at the Atlanta CC, IN, last fall. We had nearly thirty shooters from all the nearby states. I didn't even get to shoot, just helped set up and co-ordinate some of my USPSA buddies to help RO.

I'd like to learn to shoot the revolver.

My heartfelt belief is that if you aren't shooting USPSA/IPSC, well...

IPSC is no1, ICORE no2, NRA for fun and practice.

TomB

twix,

(Imagine how much fun you could have with it shooting the Ohio State Match.  :) )

YEEEHAAAA :lol: Update the revolver list Flex...have we made it up to ten? Twenty?

DO IT TWIX - I promise you won't be alone :D Hell, I've got more than one, you can try it out and buy your own if you like it.

Having only shot IDPA and USPSA the 625 is plenty accurate for both. I know you can hit IDPA/USPSA target-sized steel at over 150 yards :P with no hold over, DAO.

YEEEHAAAA :lol: Update the revolver list Flex...have we made it up to ten? Twenty?

DO IT TWIX - I promise you won't be alone :D Hell, I've got more than one, you can try it out and buy your own if you like it.

We have over a dozen wheel-gunners pledged for the Ohio State Match, I believe.

Twix, be careful borrowing wheel guns from Redmist...he sets them up 'gangsta-style'.

Nice article. Thank you.

Surething, I found that while trying to hunt any articles or guides that could help the "Do It Yourselfer" trigger jobs for S&W revolvers, but I had no luck....found trigger job howto's for damn near everything else though... :(

Robo: For DIY action job information, check out the "S&W Smithing" board over at www.smith-wessonforum.com. If you spool back through a few pages of posts, you should be able to find some useful information on the topic of action work, etc.

If you have specific questions about slicking up your gun, most of the veteran revolver shooters here on the BEnos forum do their own action work and will be happy to share their advice.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I added a post over there asking for some help and read alot of your posts at SW forum, and then I realized that the new upgrades over there changed some of my account settings, I could only see the last 30 days of posts, which didnt include much(about 1.5 pages of threads), but after I changed the profile setting I had 9 pages of gunsmithing threads to browse thru...LOL

I would like to get a revolver for USPSA, ICORE and maybe NRA.

Are the .45 cal 625's accurate at 50 yrds?

First, with a decent load, whether it be a hot load or soft load the 625 should be plenty accurate for Bianchi. To refresh your memory the 10 ring is 8" and the X ring is 4" in diameter.

Second, the lead on the mover will be of issue, especially at 25 yds. Since power factor minimum is 120,000 then that would not be much of an issue since the lightest bullet you would run would likely be 155gr, but most likely 185gr or so. The target is 18 inches wide, so half that is 9 inches. A bullet travelling 850 fps will require 10.6" of lead at 25yds or about 1.6" ahead of the target edge. A bullet travelling 700 fps (185gr X 700fps = 129,500 PF) will need lead as follows: 10 yds = 5.14" 15 yds = 7.71" 20 yds = 10.28" 25 yds = 12.85" So if you can visualize a hold area an inch or so ahead of the target edge at 20yds and about 4" ahead of target edge at 25 yds you are fine. At the 10 and 15 yds just lead the X ring center by about 5 and 8 inches respectively and your fine.

Third, the bullet drop issue. Zeroed at an inch or so high at 25 yds will give you pretty much dead on at 10-25 yds for barricade, mover, practical and plates. You now need to determine the hold area for 35 yds on the barricade and 50 yds on the practical. No big deal.

Here is how I determine the hold area on targets that are taller than they are wide i.e. silhouettes, IDPA, IPSC and NRA D-1 when shooting distances which require aiming high or above center.

Make sure gun is well sited in at say 25 yds with point of aim = point of impact (POA =POI). Now take the specific target (NRA D-1) and hang it upside down at the desired next longest distance, say 35 yds. Very carefully aim at target center and shoot a group. The group will (should) impact lower than center. After you are comfortable with your shooting/group. Take the target re-hang it right side up. Now go back to the same distance. Aim at the group, the shots should be right in the middle of the target. This if done properly will give you the hold area on the target with that load at that disatnce. Get use to the visual of the sight picture and that is your hold, the drop has been predetermined. Repeat for 50 yds. You only have to remember 3 things. (1)POA=POI at 10, 15, 20 & 25yds. (2) Hold reference at 35yds (3) Hold reference at 50yds.

The other thing is a significant drop at 50yds is not a problem, because the hold area may well be high enough on the target that the "aiming area" actually becomes more defined as the top of the target "may" take on a round or bullesye effect, thus making it easier to define the hold area.

Good Luck!

MJ

BTW, the formula for calculating lead for Bianchi is as follows: distance to target in feet, divided by velocity in fps, times 10fps (target speed) X 12 (to get to inches)

A couple examples;

25yds = 75ft 75/800 X 10 X 12 = 11.25" lead at 25 yds with a 800fps bullet

20yds = 60ft 60/800 X 120 = 9 " lead at 20 yds " "

• 3 weeks later...